Prospective Students FAQs

Chemistry students and tutor

This page has been developed to support applicants looking to start their undergraduate studies with us in September 2024.


This page was updated on 16/05/2024.

Accommodation and commuting

What are my options for student accommodation?

We know accommodation is an important decision for you to make as part of your applicant journey.

We work with our accommodation partners, Campus Living Villages (CLV), who manage two accommodation villages: Peel Park Quarter, and John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts.

Many of our students decide to live off-campus and there are loads of other options to find a great place to live. If you want to live off-campus, you might want to check out some alternative accommodation providers.

If you have any queries about booking accommodation, we recommend browsing our accommodation FAQs.

My UCAS application states I want to stay at home, but I've changed my mind. Can this be updated?

Don't worry if your UCAS application indicates you wish to live at home - it's no problem if you've changed your mind and are now considering student accommodation!

You don't need to take any action to update this. UCAS include the question on the application form to simply gauge how many students are interested in accommodation vs commuting to study.

I'll be commuting to Salford - what is student life like as a commuter?

You may decide that living at home and commuting to University is the best option for you, and there are plenty of public transport links to help you get to our campus.

Salford Crescent train station is situated right by our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses, connecting you to Manchester city centre and beyond. MediaCity is accessible by tram, and there are frequent bus services between all three sites and the wider Greater Manchester area.

Our common rooms in University House and Peel Building on Peel Park campus, and in Allerton Building on Frederick Road campus, have been created with commuter students in mind. They feature spaces for individual or group study, as well as areas to relax in, watch TV, and enjoy your lunch with friends.

You can read more about the day in the life of a commuting student on our commuters webpage.

Fees and funding

When can I apply for student finance?

Full-time undergraduate students in England can apply now for student finance. If you are a new student due to start studying in September 2024, you should apply by 17 May 2024. You can find out more on the SFE student timeline.

Full-time undergraduate students in Northern Ireland can also apply now

Full-time undergraduate students in Wales are able to apply to Student Finance Wales now. More information can be found on their Discover Student Finance page. If you are a new student, you should apply by 31 May 2024.

Part-time students usually apply in the summer before their course begins - we'll post updates here soon!

It is important to meet any deadlines set by Student Finance England or any of the other funding organisations you may be applying to. If you apply late, your money might be late too!

Can I apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund bursary?

For the last few years, financial support has been made available to students studying a number of healthcare courses via the NHS Learning Support Fund.

Whilst application dates for the NHS Learning Support Fund are still to be confirmed, if you are a new healthcare student starting one of the eligible courses in September 2024, you can be kept up to date on the NHS Business Services Authority website. 

Where can I find out about Salford bursaries?

When it comes to fees and funding, we understand that going to University can feel like a daunting experience for some students. With a range of support schemes and bursaries, as well as the Inspire Support Scheme which provides all new undergraduate students with £150 a year to spend on learning resources, there are a number of support options available to help make your money go further. Learn more on our fees and funding page.

I'm an international student, what do I need to know about fees and scholarships?

If you are an international student, you can find out all you need to know about paying your tuition fees, deposit and about the cost of living on our fees and funding page.

Remember to check your offer letter to see if you are eligible for one of our scholarships. You may also be able to apply for one of our other international scholarships.

Applications and offers

I've applied - what happens next?

Once you've made an application to study with us, you'll typically receive a decision within a few weeks. The exact time frame can vary from course to course, and on the time of year, but our Admissions Team work hard to process all applications as quickly as possible.

If you are a UCAS applicant you can monitor the progress of your application via your UCAS Hub - your application status will automatically update as soon as any changes occur. More information about tracking your application can be found on the UCAS website

If you are a direct applicant we recommend that you regularly sign into your applicant portal for updates on the progress of your application.

You can find more details about the next steps in your applicant journey.

How and when can I apply?

Undergraduate Degrees

Applications for full-time undergraduate courses starting in September 2024 are made via UCAS. Whilst the equal consideration deadline was Wednesday 31 January 2024, we may still be able to review applications if we have places remaining. We recommend checking UCAS for available courses.

Applications for part-time undergraduate courses are made directly to the University - you can read guidance about using our online application form. You might also find it helpful to check out our How to Apply page.

Degree Apprenticeships

Applications are made directly to the University following a consultation with your employer. Further information on the next available start dates can be found on the individual course pages. You can read more about our degree apprenticeships on our website.

I'm undecided on which course to apply for, where can I find more information about your courses?

You can search the range of courses we offer and filter by the type of study you are interested in. From the search results, you can click on a course to read more about it such as entry requirements, course duration, tuition fees, modules and methods of assessment.

I have been asked to provide a personal statement, what does this require?

Please refer to our personal statement guide and our hints and tips for more information.


Can I submit a separate personal statement?

Generally we review the one original personal statement which you have submitted as part of your initial application and this should be tailored towards the course you are interested in studying. However, sometimes we may be able to consider an alternative one.

If you would like a new statement to be taken into account, please send it to and include your date of birth and application ID number in your email, along with your enquiry.


Do I need to provide to provide a reference as part of my UCAS application?

Yes, all applications require a reference from a suitable referee, such as one of your tutors if you are in education or managers/supervisors if you are in employment.

If you're applying via UCAS through your school/college then your tutors will attach your reference after you have filled in your personal details and qualifications and completed your personal statement.

I have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form – what happens next?

If you have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form, this is because we need to clarify your fee-paying status as either a home or international student. Please complete your online form as soon as possible. When a decision is made, your offer will then be processed. Your offer status can be found on your UCAS Hub if you are a full-time undergraduate applicant, or through the online application portal if you are a direct applicant.

I have received an offer which states I am a full-time home student, what does this mean?

If your offer letter refers to you being classed as a full-time home student, this means you are paying our home student tuition fees rather than international fees. It is not related to whether you choose to live in student accommodation or commute from your home address.

Interviews and portfolios

What is the process for interviews and portfolios

Once we receive your application, we will assess the information you have included and then email you to provide full details about what you need to do to complete an interview, assessment and/or portfolio if required. Not all courses require you to attend an interview or share a portfolio, it just depends on which course you have applied for.

What do you expect from a portfolio?

Portfolios are required by some of our creative courses to assess examples of your work. We understand that you may not have a full portfolio at this stage in the academic year, but we're keen to see your work so far to understand what your interests are within your chosen subject.

When will I hear back about my portfolio?

You should expect to see a decision on UCAS within four weeks of your portfolio submission deadline, but please take into consideration that at busy times of the year there may be some slight delays. You can monitor the progress of your application via your UCAS Hub.

I've been invited to an interview but can't attend, can I rearrange it?

If you need to reschedule your interview, you can use the application portal to do so.

If you have any problems doing this, feel free to contact us at

How do I prepare for my interview?

Further details about your interview and how to prepare can be found by following the "interview preparation" button on your interview invite once you have been selected for interview. Please check your inbox and spam folder and read the invite carefully.

I've received an interview invite but my UCAS Hub has not been updated.

Our interview process is independent from UCAS, so unfortunately this will not update on your UCAS Hub.

If you have received an email from us inviting you to an interview, then please be assured you have been selected. The date, time and location of your interview is on your email and further details about how to prepare for your interview can be found by clicking the "interview preparation" button on the email.


How can I find out about Offer Holder Days?

We have come to the end of our current schedule of Offer Holder Days, but if you are still looking to find out more about studying with us in September then be sure to take a look at our Undergraduate Events page for details of other ways to meet us.

How can I find out about Open Days?

Our next Undergraduate Open Day is taking place on Saturday 15 June 2024. Whilst we're aiming this event at the 2025 intake, if you've not yet been able to visit campus and wish to do so before September then you're very welcome to book a place!


I'm not able to visit the campus, is there another way to see it?

If you're unable to attend one of our on-campus events, not to worry! We have our Virtual Experience Platform where you can find plenty of resources relating to both your course of interest and wider student life at Salford. You can hear from current students and staff, see some of the key teaching facilities and even go on a virtual campus tour!

Campus life

What's Salford like?

Salford is in the heart of Greater Manchester, but whilst it’s just 2km from the buzzing Manchester city centre, it has its own community feel.

If you enjoy the outdoors, then you'll find Peel Park, one of the first public parks in the country, conveniently located next to Peel Park Campus. It’s the perfect place for an afternoon walk or an early morning jog before your studies.

Culturally there’s lots to see and do - Salford is home to MediaCity and The Lowry, plus Salford Museum and Art Gallery is right on Peel Park Campus!

If you're new to Salford and Manchester, you might want to check out this video which showcases the local area.

What's the local transport network like?

We’re well connected by public transport with Salford Crescent train station located right between our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses making it easy to travel into Manchester city centre and further afield. There’s a Metrolink stop a stone’s throw from our building at MediaCity if you’re using the city’s tram network. Don’t forget the regular bus links between the city centre and all three campuses - you can use your student ID card to get between MediaCity and Peel Park for free on the number 50 Stagecoach bus!

Am I able to park on campus?

Yes, and we have multiple car parks available across our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses - take a look at our travel page for more information. 

If you choose to use a University car park, you will need a valid parking session which students can purchase hourly, weekly, monthly or annually. There are several ways to pay for your parking, and you can find more information, including prices, on our dedicated car parking page. 

Parking at our MediaCity site is a little bit more limited, but if you do decide to drive, take a look at the MediaCity parking guide for more information.

What clubs and societies do you have?

At Salford, we understand that a student’s experience goes beyond the academic teaching on your course. We have a wide range of societies, sports groups and social activities on offer so that you can pursue your passion or try something new. If you can't see a society that interests you, then you are also welcome to start your own.

Why not hear from some of our students who've got involved in societies alongside their studies!

How can I meet my coursemates?

You can join our official Facebook group for 2024 undergraduate applicants. It works as a platform to offer new students the opportunity to get to know future coursemates, housemates and society-mates - all before you've even started university! 

Student support

What student support services are in place at Salford?

We want you to enjoy your time studying at Salford, but we understand that you may need a little extra support. askUS is our dedicated student support service, offering advice and information on a range of matters, from finance to wellbeing and counselling to disability and learner support.

I'm worried about my mental health

Within our dedicated student support service, askUS, the Wellbeing and Counselling team are on hand to support you throughout your studies. We've created a Wellbeing and Counselling page to provide you with more information on our wellbeing service, including who to speak to about your mental health and guidance on how to ensure you remain supported once you start university. 

Previous students tell us that getting support in place early or ensuring any existing support they had in place was transferred to Salford, really helped them to enjoy and succeed in their studies, so we would encourage you to start the process as soon as possible. 

For more information, please call the Wellbeing team on +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 1, option 1) or email

Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity, are also here to help you. They have established a resource called transitions, to provide you with information and tips to guide you through the process of moving and settling in to life at university. 

Our Students' Union offers a peer support listening service called Rafiki, which is led by students for students. If you're experiencing any problems whilst at University then our student volunteers are there to listen to you and support you via online chat, phone and video call. 

I need information about childcare

We understand that as a parent of young children, you need support at a time and place that suits you. We currently have nursery facilities on our campus and in partnership with Busy Bees. You may also wish to contact our dedicated student support service, askUS, for further information and advice.

How does Salford support prospective students from under-represented groups?

We offer a range of support and advice through our askUS service for care experienced young people, disabled learners, young carers and estranged learners (students who will be studying without family support). We will support you every step of the way, and as a student at Salford, you will have access to our counselling and wellbeing services to ensure you reach your full potential.

Our specialist support team can be contacted at

You can find support from several dedicated charities across the UK, such as Buttle UK who provide grants and assistance to vulnerable young people, Rees Foundation who strive to help care experienced individuals and Stand Alone who offer advice and support services to people estranged from their families.

There are also a range of services available to you across Greater Manchester, and you can find the contact details for these and each university on the Greater Manchester Higher Website.

Teaching and learning

What will my timetable look like?

Once you have registered as a student with us, you will receive an email with a link to your personal timetable. 

In the meantime, you may wish to have a read through some general timetable guidance.


When does my course start?

You can see a general overview of the 2024/25 academic year on our Term Dates page. Don't worry if UCAS shows your start date as 1 September - this is simply to indicate the month you will be beginning your studies, rather than a specific course start date.

The majority of our courses do not have teaching during trimester 3; however, if you are on a course aligned with a healthcare profession, you may be taught during this period.


How will I be taught and assessed?

Teaching and assessment methods vary from course to course depending on the type of subject you're studying - some will be more practical with workshops and interactive assessments, whilst others will have traditional lectures and essays.

If you're unsure about what is involved in your course, then we recommend searching our range of courses and then selecting the relevant course page for all the details about your chosen programme.


I am an international student - where can I find support?

Please refer to the following pages depending on what stage in the applicant journey you are at and what your query is: 

My question isn't listed on this page, how can I contact you?

If you have any other questions, you can raise your query via the Prospective students FAQ form.

I am a parent/supporter of a prospective student - where can I find more information?

Stay connected with us all year round. Join our vibrant community of parents, caregivers and enthusiastic supporters, and let us keep you in the loop with exciting events, helpful insights, and valuable assistance throughout your application journey. Visit our Student Supporters page to find out more.