How to apply

Chemistry students and tutor

We want to make applying to study at the University of Salford as flexible and straightforward as possible. On this page you can find out how to make an application to one of our postgraduate degrees.

If you are an international student, you should also read how to apply from overseas. We also have a separate page with information related to applying to an undergraduate course.


For the majority of our courses, you’ll need to complete our online application form. If you have your supporting information ready, the form should take 20 minutes to complete. If you don’t have these documents to hand you can save your application and come back to it later.

The application process is slightly different for a number of our courses. Where this is the case, we’ve outlined the steps you need to follow below.

Alternative application processes

You will need to follow a different application process for MA Social Work and our single module courses. Please select your course from the list below for more information.

If you need help with your application, please contact us on +44 (0)161 295 4545 or email your enquiry to:

Choose your course

MA Social Work

Single modules

If you are funding your course yourself, please complete the relevant application form and send it to Please note that we cannot accept postal applications, we can only process those received at this email address.

If you are applying for the Applied Social Work Practice CPD or single module, please download our postgraduate application form. You will also need to complete an agency sponsorship form. Both should be sent to

We welcome applications from students with alternative qualifications or significant relevant experience through our process of accreditation of prior experiential learning (APEL). To apply via this route, please complete our APEL form and submit it with your application.

Application deadlines (home students)

Postgraduate courses start at different points throughout the year. For more information, please see individual course pages. You should submit your application as soon as possible to secure your place.

Application deadlines (international students)

Our postgraduate courses start at different points throughout the year, and the start dates are listed on our individual course pages.

Our postgraduate courses are in high demand and we run application windows for international students in which to apply. Please see more details about our different intakes and application deadlines on our dedicated webpage.

Entry requirements

Entry requirements differ according to the course you are interested in. For more information, search our courses.

If you are an international student, you should check your country page for a list of the equivalent qualifications we accept from around the world and more information about English language requirements.

Supporting documents

You will need to provide a number of supporting documents with your application. These documents vary from course to course, but usually include:

  • A reference.
  • Transcripts or certificates demonstrating that you meet, or are likely to meet, the entry requirements for your course.
  • If English is not your first language, evidence that your command of English meets the standards required for postgraduate study (you’ll usually need an IELTS score of 6.5 or the equivalent).
  • If you live outside the UK, we’ll need to see a copy of your passport and student visa.
  • If you are applying for Applied Social Work Practice (MSc, PgDip or PgCert), you will also need to complete the agency sponsorship form and email it to

See individual course pages for more information on any course-specific requirements we need as part of your application.

The earlier you supply these documents, the sooner we can process your application. If you have not yet finished a course that relates to your application, please send us copies of your transcripts and certificates (once you have taken your exams) so we can update your admissions record.