How to apply

Students sat on the terrace of The Alchemist MCUK

We try to make applying to study at the University of Salford as flexible and straightforward as possible. On this page you can find out how to make an application to start university in September 2021.


Online guides

We have a range of presentations and virtual Q&A sessions to help introduce you to some of the key topics around going to university. This includes information on personal statements, student finance, subject choices and many others.

Making an application

The majority of our undergraduate applications are made via UCAS: your school of college should help you access this service, and will give you a buzzword which you will need in order to register. You can also use this service if you’re applying independently, both in the UK and overseas.

When you apply to study a course at Salford via UCAS, you’ll be required to provide the institution codes. Make sure that you enter the codes as below:

  • Salford institution code name: SALF
  • Salford institution code: S03
  • Campus code: there are no campus codes at Salford - please leave this section blank.

You’ll also be asked to pay a fee for your application. Please refer to the UCAS website for more information about costs, and how you can pay for your application.

We accept a number of qualifications, from A/AS levels to BTEC awards, to the International Baccalaureate. To find out more details about the qualifications we accept, take a look at our course pages and select the course you wish to apply for.

All applications should be made via the UCAS website, except for applications to:

  • Part-time courses and BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies
  • The BSc (Hons) Midwifery (post RN, 20 months) programme
  • Post-qualifying Health and Social care courses and single modules
  • Higher and Degree Apprenticeship programmes
  • The International Foundation Year or Pre-sessional English courses

If the above applies to you, please see the below information for other ways to apply.

Other ways to apply

Part-time study

Part-time applications are made directly to the University via our online application form. Visit our guidance page for details of how to use the online application form.

For more information about our part-time undergraduate courses, please contact our Course Enquiries team on 0161 295 4545.

Accelerated degree courses

If you’re applying for one of our built environment accelerated courses, then you’ll need to apply via UCAS. This applies to both the full-time and the day-release versions of the accelerated course, with durations of two or three years, respectively. Only the standard five year part-time courses require direct applications.

Higher and Degree Apprenticeship programmes

If you’re looking to apply for a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship programme, then you will need to visit our apprenticeship webpage and contact us via the online form. Applications for apprenticeship programmes do not go through the traditional UCAS system – you will apply directly to the University via a separate application form.

In order to be eligible for a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship you must be employed full-time in a relevant role and your employer must be willing to support you through the programme.

All apprenticeship roles are listed on the GOV.UK website.

Salford Alternative Entry Scheme

If you’ve been out of education for a while, want to further your career or simply want to study in a field that you’re passionate about, the Salford Alternative Entry Scheme (SAES) could be for you.

How can I apply?

Submit your course application as you would normally through UCAS.

We will then recommend you to SAES if you’re eligible (you’ll be notified of this recommendation via UCAS or by our admissions team getting in touch with you).  

Successful applicants will be contacted through SAES about an assessment. 

Find out more about the Salford Alternative Entry Scheme >

Top-up courses

If you are currently studying a foundation degree at one of our partner colleges and wish to top up your award to an Honours degree, you should apply directly to the University by completing our Undergraduate Studies direct application form.

Information about the courses available can be provided by the staff at your college.

Post-qualifying Health and Social Care courses and single module applications

If you are applying for a CPD single module, please complete the appropriate application form below and send directly to the University*. Full details on who to send your application to are indicated on the form. If workplace funded, you will also need to supply a letter from your Trust stating that they will be funding your study.

Level 5 and Level 6 (undergraduate/single module) application form

Level 7 (Masters/single module) application form

*Please note: you will be required to provide two references.

BSc (Hons) Midwifery (post RN) course applications

Applications are made directly to the University, so you’ll need to complete an undergraduate studies direct application form.

International Foundation Year

Applications for our International Foundation Year are made via our online application form. Visit our guidance page for details of how to use the online application form.

Pre-sessional English course

Applications for our Pre-sessional English course are made via our online application form. Visit our guidance page for details of how to use the online application form.

Writing your personal statement

You've carefully considered the course you'd like to study and narrowed down your university choices, and now it's time to start writing your personal statement - but where do you start? We've put together our top tips to help you get underway with writing your personal statement.

Listen to our podcast

For more top tips and information about how to apply, listen to the advice of David and Kathryn from our Recruitment and Admissions Team to help you put together a stand-out application for your chosen university and course.

Contact us

We're here to help support you and answer and queries you may have. Get in touch with our friendly team by emailing or phone +44 (0)161 295 4545.

If you have been dissatisfied with our admissions process, please follow our admissions complaints procedure.