Changing your course

Many students change courses for different reasons. This decision may be because you're not happy with your current course, feel you've made the wrong decision or for other personal reasons. The main thing is you need to work out if changing course is the right thing for you to do and what to do next.

We can help you do this by offering advice and guidance around issues such as:

  • How to choose a further course
  • Whether changing course will achieve what you want
  • Finding other suitable courses
  • The process of transferring course

There are some very useful pages for course changers on the Graduate Prospects website, which will help you think more deeply about the issues listed above.

    Speak to your School Office

    If you are clear which course you want to switch onto within the University of Salford, please contact your School Office in the first instance who will be able to advise on the steps you need to take to arrange your course switch.

    You can call your School Office on +44 (0)161 295 5338 or email:

    Speak to a Careers Consultant

    If you are thinking about changing course, or leaving the University before completing your course, you may be wondering about the potential impact on your career choices. You are welcome to discuss this further with a Careers Consultant. The discussion will be both confidential and impartial.

    A Careers Consultant will listen to your ideas, and help you to feel more informed about considering career options as part of your decision to change course or not.

    You can book a Careers appointment by calling Careers and Enterprise on +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 5) or by booking an appointment online. Please note: appointments with Careers & Enterprise are available for current students and graduates of the University of Salford only.

    Please note that Careers and Enterprise cannot advise on the correct process to follow in order to leave or change your course. Contact your School Office directly and they will be able to give you the most appropriate support and information.

    Things to think about when changing course

    • The earlier on in the academic year you decide you want to change courses, the more likely you are to be able to switch straight on to your course of choice (if there are places available).
    • Speak to the potential course leader / admissions tutor if you are sure you want to change on to a different course. It will be at their discretion as to whether you can transfer and they will be able to tell you if there is room on the course. Make sure you are clear why you left or are leaving your old course and why you want to be on your potential course.
    • If you can change courses within the University, you will need to get a transfer form from your new course administrator.
    • Be clear on the method of application. If your course change involves a move to another university you may need to apply through UCAS. There is further information, advice and guidance available for you to make an informed decision should you feel that transferring to another university is the right option for you.
      • The Student Room provides useful information and a platform for you to ask questions amongst peers to support you.
      • You will also find links to Student Finance England, Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS), Student Finance Northern Ireland and Student Finance Wales.
      • The Complete University Guide has a lot of useful information to help you complete this process as smoothly as possible.

    If you have any questions regarding the implications of changing course on any Student Finance you receive, contact askUS by calling +44 (0)161 295 0023 or email