askUS produces different types of letters for many reasons for our current students, former students and graduates. We aim to produce letters within 3-5 working days, but this can take longer if we need to contact your school to confirm any additional information.
Please read the information below about types of letters and the process you need to follow as this process is different if you are not a current student.
Letter types for current students
We offer the following standard types of letters for current (registered) students:
- Proof of study: this letter confirms that you are a student at the University of Salford. This is a general purpose letter and can be referred to as a 'to whom it may concern' letter.
- Proof of study showing tuition fee payments: this letter confirms that you are a student at the University of Salford and how much you have paid/owe in tuition fees. If you require a letter showing your fee amount for next year, please state this in the additional information box. Alternatively, you can check your tuition fee statements via our online portal.
- Proof of study showing graduation dates: this letter confirms that you are a student at the University of Salford and shows when your Graduation celebration event will be held. This letter can be used to support visa applications for you and any relatives and friends to the UK for graduation. Please note: these letters are only available around the Graduation period and are for students who are registered to attend a Graduation Ceremony.
- Bank: this letter proves that you are a student at the University of Salford and can be used to open a bank account. Please note some Santander accounts may not require a letter, please check with them before requesting.
- Council Tax Exemption Certificates: this letter should be provided to your local council to ensure you do not get charged Council Tax. This letter should be given to Council when applying for an exemption. You will, however, receive a copy of this to your student email when you register. Please check there before requesting this certificate. We will only issue replacement certificates where students have moved address or those relating to a previous academic year.
- Greek national letter - this letter confirms that you are a student at the University of Salford and that your programme is being taught in English and can be used for the Greek Authorities. Please note: for Greek national students only and this letter will be written in English, not Greek.
Requesting a letter process for current students
- Ensure your address details are up to date as these will be included on your letter. Update your contact details online if you have moved address since registering.
- Log in to Advantage using your current network username and password in order to request a letter
- If you cannot remember your username or password, please phone Digital IT on +44 (0)161 295 2444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carefully read the types of letters offered and the academic year you wish your letter to relate to
- Click the ‘request a letter’ button
We aim to produce letters within 3-5 working days but this may take longer if we need to confirm any additional information with your school. Once your letter has been produced, we will email it to your University email account.
Information for students on interruption or who have withdrawn
You will already have received an interruption letter if you are on an interruption of study. Please email email@example.com if you need this letter to be reprinted.
You will automatically receive a letter confirming your dates of study if you have withdrawn from a programme of study. If you have any issues, please email askUS@salford.ac.uk.
Information for English Language Programme (ELP) students
Please ensure that you do not request a letter in place of a CAS Reference Number for your new course. All enquiries relating to your CAS can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requesting a letter process for graduates and former students
Former students and graduates who have not studied during the current academic year need to use our online shop to order an academic confirmation letter.
If you have graduated from the University, you can request an Academic Confirmation Letter detailing your award for a charge of £10 from the online shop. Please note these letter requests take 10 working days to process for courses completed from 2007 onwards and 20 working days for courses completed in 2006 or earlier.
- For enquiries relating to studies in 2006 and earlier, please contact Student Records on +44 (0) 161 295 0023 (option 5, option 2) or email email@example.com
- For enquiries relating to studies from 2007 onwards, please contact askUS on +44 (0) 161 295 0023 (option 4, option 1) or email askUS@salford.ac.uk