Fees and funding

Student working

As a student at the University of Salford, you will need to pay for your tuition fees and cover your living expenses. Find out more about the costs of studying here and explore the scholarships and financial support available.  

Tuition fees

Tuition fees are paid for each year of study. For international students, our full-time courses starting in 2023-24 cost between £12,960 to £19,530 depending on the course and the level of study. 

For students starting in 2024-25, our full-time courses cost from £13,750 to £20,340 depending on the course and level of study.

The exact fees for all undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses are shown on our course pages. Fees for postgraduate research degrees can be viewed on our postgraduate research pages.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

All self-funded students studying an international foundation year, undergraduate or postgraduate programme, are required to pay a deposit of £5,500. This amount must be paid and have reached the university before you can get an unconditional offer and begin the process for getting your CAS. This deposit payment will be deducted from your tuition fees owed for the year.

We offer US students a waiver on the deposit requirement once they have been approved for a US loan.

How do I pay?

If you are self-funding your studies, you have the option to pay your tuition fees in full or you could pay in instalments (starting the month after the course commencement date). If you choose to pay in full, we offer a prompt payment discount of 3% on the net fee remaining after any scholarship has been applied.

If you choose to pay your fees in instalments, you will pay in either 5 or 7 consecutive monthly instalments, depending on what course you are studying.

For more information, please visit our askUS website (see the section on self-funding students). 

You should only use our recommended payment methods to pay your fees, as we follow strict guidelines to keep your money safe. Find out more about avoiding money scams.

For a step-by-step guide to paying your tuition fees, watch our video below. 

International Paying Tuition Fees

Sponsored students

If you are expecting an external organisation like an embassy, your employer or a government organisation to pay some or all of your tuition fees, you must send us an official letter from your sponsor at the beginning of each academic year. For more information, please visit our askUS website (see the section on sponsored students). 

Do you offer scholarships and discounts?

We offer a range of scholarships and bursaries to support high achieving international students. Explore our international scholarships.

You can also get a prompt payment discount of 3% if you pay your fees in full, during or before registration. The discount is applied to the net fee remaining after any scholarship has been applied.

If you’re a University of Salford graduate, your postgraduate tuition fees could be discounted by 20%. For more information, please contact sa-tuitionfees@salford.ac.uk.

What is the cost of living?

We advise students to budget a minimum of £9,207* for each academic year** of undergraduate and postgraduate study, in addition to tuition fees. The Home Office (UKVI) has set the amount of maintenance funds you need to have available, this is £1,023* per month for living costs if you are studying outside London or anywhere else in the UK for the majority of your study. This amount should cover accommodation, food, entertainment, transport, books, insurance and other living expenses.

As part of your visa application, you will also be required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge of £1035*. This will allow you to benefit from health care services whilst in the UK.

*For the most up-to-date information about maintenance and visa costs visit Home Office Student Visas

**Please note, an academic year is 9 months

Of course, the living costs mentioned above are a guide, and some students will require more than this, it depends on your lifestyle. Learn more about typical costs of living in Salford and Manchester.