Fees and funding

Students discussion

As a postgraduate research student, you will need to pay annual tuition fees. These vary according to the programme you are studying. 

Both we and other organisations offer a range of scholarships and discounts to postgraduate research students. Find out out more about the funding you could access on this page. 

PhD by published works

Fees (2022/23 entry)

£500 for the prima facie

£4,596 for one year’s tuition

Research degree fees (home students)

Fees (2022/23 entry)

PhD and MRes degrees:

Full-time: £4,596

Part-time: £2,298

Split site: £6,575

Online doctorate: £7,595

Professional doctorate in the School of Health and Society: £3,100 for year one

Research degree fees (international students)

Fees (2022/23 entry)

PhD and MRes degrees:

  Full-time Part-time*
School of Arts, Media and Creative Technology £13,850 £8,310
Salford Business School £14,395 £8,635
School of Health and Society £15,165 £9,100
School of Science, Engineering and Environment £15,165 £9,100

Split site: £6,575

Online doctorate: £7,595

*The part-time fees are calculated on the basis of the full-time total cost (three years), divided by five years (average duration of part-time students).

Bench fees

Some programmes charge a bench fee in addition to tuition fees. Bench fees cover additional programme costs like specialist laboratory work, field trips and equipment purchase. If there is a bench fee applied to your chosen research degree, this will be confirmed during the application process.


Funding, scholarships and discounts

Loyalty discount

We're pleased to offer a 20% discount off the net fee for all University of Salford graduates who are self-funding their studies. You are eligible for this discount if:

  • You have graduated from an undergraduate bachelor's programme (BA (Hons), BSc (Hons), LLB, MChem, MPhys, Graduate Diploma) at the University of Salford or one of our global partners and are applying to a postgraduate taught master's or postgraduate research master's (including the Salford DBA).
  • You have graduated from a postgraduate taught master's programme at the University of Salford or one of our global partners and are applying to a postgraduate research programme (including the Salford DBA).

Doctoral loans

Government loans are available to help UK students with course fees and living costs while they are studying for a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD. Find out more on the Government's website

Commonwealth scholarships

Commonwealth scholarships for master’s and PhD study are offered to citizens of developing Commonwealth countries who plan to study in the UK. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth. For more information, please visit the Commonwealth Scholarships website.

Part-time work

If you want to earn some extra cash while you’re studying, you can access a range of suitable roles at our on-campus branch of Unitemps. When you’re a postgraduate research student, it’s important to find the right balance between work and study, so if you’re thinking of getting a part-time job, speak to your personal tutor to find out how much time you’ll need to dedicate to your studies.