Living in Salford and Manchester

Salford and Manchester are relatively budget-friendly areas to live in, allowing you to enjoy some of the cheapest public transport costs in the UK as well as great offers on social activities and plenty of choice when it comes to filling your food cupboards.

Rent is often your largest cost however if you start planning early, you are more likely to get a better deal and hence have more money to live on. We suggest you start to look for accommodation as soon as possible. Our accommodation information pages provide advice on how to search for accommodation in the Salford and Greater Manchester area. 

If you live within Greater Manchester, we have put together some spending suggestions to help you budget your money while studying at the University of Salford. Some of these spending habits may not apply to you and are an average cost per month for single students. If you are sharing bills or living in a larger accommodation, prices may vary. Please take a look at the table below to see how your spending could be affected.  

Average costs for a single student who pays rent and lives in Greater Manchester*  

Likely Expenditure

Minimum cost per month

Minimum cost per year


£447 - House Share (based on the local rental market prices)   

£558 – Studio Flats (based on the local rental market prices)   



Utilities (gas electric water)






Textbooks & Stationery



Essential Food












Refurbished Laptop



Mobile contract



Socialising expenses



Tips for living costs

General advice

  • Consider how much your rent will cost you annually against the loan that you will receive from Student Finance.

  • Rent: Although there may be a small number of low rentals, these are likely to be in short supply and therefore it is possible you may need to pay significantly more. Many of the best deals will also be snapped up a few months before the start of an academic year. Check out our accommodation information pages for more tips. Students should expect to spend £680 upwards when looking for places to live.  

  • Check whether bills included in your total monthly rental payment. Student accommodation tenancy agreements often include the rent and utility bills as a total amount which means you can save some money. This is less likely with private landlords but there is the odd exception. 

  • Living with friends is a great way to save some money. If you are living in privately rented properties you will be able to split bills like gas, electric and water. 

  • Living at home can be a good way to save on costs but keep in mind that you will receive a lower loan for living costs from Student Finance (if you receive a maintenance loan). It is also worth noting that travel costs will be higher for those who commute further to study. 

  • If you are travelling to campus by bus or train, you might be able to buy a travel pass, which can help you save some money. We suggest you calculate your daily travel costs with and without the pass to see if you'll be making a saving. Read our blog on affordable ways to travel for more advice. 

  • All full-time students are exempt from paying Council Tax but you may need to provide your local authority or landlord with a Council Tax exemption letter to prove you are a student at the University of Salford. An exemption certificate should be sent to your student email shortly after you register. If you do not receive your certificate you can request one online. Part time students do not qualify for Council Tax exemption regardless of the hours studied on the course. 

  • Make sure you know if you need a Television Licence. If you watch or record live TV or download BBC iPlayer programmes you need a TV Licence. If you live in a regular property (i.e. with a private landlord) one TV Licence will cover the whole property. In university halls, each student with a TV will need their own licence. Sometimes these are included in your rent but it is worth checking this before you pay. The TV Licensing website provides more information.

  • It’s important to think ahead and budget. You can use our  budget management tool  for personalised advice and you can find additional money advice on the MoneySavingExpert website.  

Additional tips for international students

  • In most cases, international students are not able to apply for Student Finance Loans and need to make their own financial provisions. The above figures are a guide only and costs could vary depending on your individual needs. 
  • As an international student, landlords may not allow you to have an overseas guarantor for your tenancy agreement. This means you could be asked to pay large parts of your rent up front. If you are unable to do this, you may want to look at using Housing Hand who can act as a guarantor for a small monthly cost. 
  • Please do not have any living expenses or accommodation funds sent to the university from your sponsor as they cannot be transferred to you due to money laundering laws. Any money that you need to help with living costs must be paid from your sponsor directly to you.  
  • Make sure to check your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) to see how many hours you can work during term time. Part-time work can be a great way to help pay for some of your monthly costs. 

Earning extra cash

In order to afford rent, bills, food and other expenses, you may want to consider getting a part-time job. While it may feel like a struggle to try and juggle both study and work there are several benefits to employment during university: 

  • Extra cash 

  • Increases work experience, making you more employable later in life 

  • Allows you to increase your knowledge of the working world and gain life experience 

We encourage you not to work over 20 hours per week as this may impact on your relaxation and studies. Our Careers & Enterprise team can help you to search for part-time work. They also offer workshops on CV improvement, interview techniques and help you to prepare through mock interviews.