Looking for Accommodation

Searching for the right accommodation whilst you’re studying? There are many options for University of Salford students, from purpose-built student accommodation to house-shares and flats. We understand it can be hard knowing where to start – especially in big cities like Salford and Manchester – so we’ve created this handy page to get you started.

Student speaking with a member of Campus Living Villages

Purpose-built Student Accommodation 

Purpose-built student accommodation – also known as “halls of residence” or “student halls” – is a popular option for many students. There are plenty of student halls across Salford, all within about 10-15 minutes of one of our campuses. These halls cater to various needs, including modern ensuite rooms, budget-friendly shared bathroom flats, and self-contained studios. 


  • Peel Park Quarter (CLV) – Exclusively for new undergraduate students in their first year of study, Peel Park Quarter offers ensuite accommodation on Peel Park campus. 
  • John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts (CLV) – Exclusively for University of Salford students (both new and returning) these halls of residence are a short walk from both Frederick Road and Peel Park campuses. Offering single rooms grouped into small flats, this is a great budget-friendly option, and you’ll only be sharing a bathroom between two to four people. 
  • Student Quarter (IQ) –Ensuite and studio apartments within a short 10 to 15-minute walk to Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses.
  • Riverside (CRM Students) – Modern ensuite flats along the River Irwell, just by Peel Park campus.
  • The Campus (X1) – Modern purpose-built studio apartments only a two minute walk from Frederick Road campus.
  • Chapel Street (X1) – Ensuite flats and studio apartments located between Peel Park campus and Manchester city centre.
  • True Student – Modern ensuite flats and studio apartments, the closest accommodation to our MediaCity campus.
  • Tramways (Sanctuary Students) – Ensuite flats just along Frederick Road, which is a 10-minute walk from Frederick Road campus.
  • Cromwell Court (University Quarter) – Small flats with shared communal spaces, located north of the University and an 18-minute walk to Peel Park and Frederick Road campus.
  • Waterside (Student Cribs) – Small flats with shared communal spaces, located near Tramways and IQ. It’s a 10-minute walk to Peel Park campus.

As a student you can get the 50 bus between Peel Park/Frederick Road campuses and MediaCity campus for free – just show your student ID card. To get between campuses it takes around 15 to 20 minutes, depending on traffic. 

Private Rented Accommodation

If you’re interested in private rented accommodation such as house-shares or flats, visit our dedicated webpage below.

Students chatting in student halls

Top Tips for Finding Accommodation

  1. Book a viewing - Most student halls will allow for viewings or tours of their rooms before booking, take advantage of this and have a look around.
  2. Check your contracts - Accommodation contracts are legally binding, so it is very important that you read and understand the full terms of your contract before signing. Manchester Student Homes offer a free contract-checking service to help you. 
  3. Be aware of the cancellation policy - Different accommodation providers have different cancellation policies. Make sure you understand yours fully before you sign so that you know what your options are if you want to cancel before your tenancy starts, or once you have moved in. Don’t assume you’ll be able to cancel free of charge – you might need to find a replacement tenant in order to be released from your contract. 
  4. Be prepared to pay a deposit - Most student halls take a deposit of £100 to £250 to secure the booking.
  5. Check your rent - Rent is usually advertised on a per-week basis. Make sure you check the length of the contract and multiply the number of weeks by the weekly rent to decide if you can afford it. Check the payment schedule and make sure this lines up with your student finance installments.
  6. Check your contract length - Most sites will offer a 42-week (or equivalent) or a 51-week (or equivalent) contract or both. The 42-week contracts usually run from September to June and cover the entire academic year. The 51-week contracts will cover the summer months as well, which is useful if you have placements or a job in Salford over the summer.
  7. Utilise Manchester Student Homes (MSH) - MSH is a great resource to help you find accommodation across Salford and Greater Manchester. They only advertise accommodation providers that meet their strict Code of Standards, and they also offer free advice on house hunting, contract checking and your rights as a tenant.  

Housing scam warnings

There have been reports of people (fraudsters) contacting students about private housing, tenancy agreements and accommodation providers. In these instances, the caller knew the name of the students. Local numbers include 0161 243 3058 and 0161 243 1455. Please be vigilant and do not provide personal information over the telephone.

Generally, don't share your personal information online when you're looking for houses unless you're sure of the recipient.