FAQs for Prospective International Students

Salford International students walking together

This page was updated on 25/10/2023

This page has been developed to support international applicants who are interested in studying at Salford.

If you still have a question after having reviewed the information on this page, you will find contact details at the bottom of the page to direct you to the relevant team. 

Applications and offers

How and when can I apply?

Undergraduate Degrees

Applications for undergraduate courses are made via UCAS. Find out how to apply as an international student.

Postgraduate Degrees

Applications are made directly to the University via our applicant portal and information can also be found on the individual course pages. Find out how to apply as an international student.

International Foundation Year

Applications are made directly to the University via our applicant portal and read more about the International Foundation Year. Find out how to apply as an international student.

Pre-sessional English

Applications are made directly to the University via our applicant portal and read more about the Pre-sessional English course. Find out how to apply as an international student.

Working with an agent

If you would like to work with an agent, you can find a list of our agents for your country. You will also be able to find country-specific information about entry requirements.

I'm undecided on which course to apply for, where can I find more information about your courses?

You can search our courses and filter by the type of study you are interested in. From the search results, you can click on a course to read more about it such as entry requirements, course duration, tuition fees, modules and methods of assessment.

You will be able to see if a course is available for international students on the course web pages.

I've applied - what happens next?

Once you've made an application to study with us, you'll typically receive a decision within a few weeks. The exact time frame can vary from course to course, and on the time of year, but our Admissions Team work hard to process all applications as quickly as possible.

If you are a UCAS applicant you can monitor the progress of your application via the UCAS Applicant Hub - your application status will automatically update as soon as any changes occur. More information about tracking your application can be found on the UCAS website.  

If you are a direct applicant we recommend that you regularly sign into your applicant portal for updates on the progress of your application.

My agent applied for me: If you applied through an agent, they will be able to log into our application portal to track your application for you, and advise you of the outcome.


Find out more at I've applied what happens next.

I have been asked to provide a Personal Statement, what does this require?

Please refer to our personal statement guide and our hints and tips for more information.

Do I need to provide to provide a reference as part of my application?

Yes, all applications require a reference from a suitable referee, such as one of your tutors if you are in education or managers/supervisors if you are in employment.

I have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form – what happens next?

If you have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form, this is because we need to clarify your fee-paying status as either a home or international student. Please complete your online form as soon as possible. When a decision is made, your offer will then be processed. Your offer status can be found on UCAS Hub if you are a full-time undergraduate applicant, or through the online application portal if you are a direct applicant.

What is an offer?

There are two types of offer you can receive: an unconditional or a conditional offer. 

  • An unconditional offer means you have already satisfied the requirements for entry, and we have accepted you as a student. 

  • A conditional offer means there are some outstanding conditions you need to meet before we can accept you as a student. Offer conditions could include; submitting exam results, or proof of English language, providing a portfolio and paying a study deposit. The conditions of your offer and how to submit them will be detailed in your offer letter.

Find out by which date you will have to meet the conditions of your offer the latest.

Find more information about meeting your English Language requirements

How do I reply to my offer?

Whether your offer is conditional or unconditional, you will need to confirm whether you wish to accept your place with us, or if you wish to decline or defer your place to a different academic year. How you do this depends on how you applied in the first place:

I applied directly on the Applicant Portal: You can choose to accept, defer or decline your offer by logging into the Applicant Portal. To help guide you through this process, we have put together a knowledge guide that you can access via the ‘Home’ button at the top of the page on the portal. If you have not yet registered for the Applicant Portal, or require any further assistance, please email us at applications@salford.ac.uk

My agent applied for me: If you applied through your agent, they will be able to accept or decline your offer for you, so please let them know what you want to do.

I applied through UCAS: If you applied through UCAS, you should reply to your offers through UCAS Applicant Hub. You can find more information about replying to your UCAS undergraduate offers

Interviews and portfolios

What is the process for interviews and portfolios?

Once we receive your application, we will assess the information you have included and then email you to provide full details about what you need to do to complete an interview, an assessment and provide a portfolio if required. Not all courses require you to attend an interview or share a portfolio, it just depends on which course you have applied for.

What do you expect from a portfolio?

Portfolios are required by some of our creative courses to assess examples of your work. We understand that you may not have a full portfolio at this stage in the academic year, but we're keen to see your work so far to understand what your interests are within the subject you have applied to study.

When will I hear back about my portfolio?

If you are a UCAS applicant you should expect to see a decision updated on UCAS within four weeks of your portfolio submission deadline, but please take into consideration that at very busy times of the year there may be some slight delays. You can monitor the progress of your application via the UCAS Applicant Hub

If you are a direct applicant we recommend that you sign into your applicant portal for updates on the progress of your application.

I've been invited to an interview but can't attend, can I rearrange it?

If you need to reschedule your interview, you can use the application portal to do so.

If you have any problems doing this, feel free to contact us at enquiries@salford.ac.uk

How do I prepare for my interview?

Further details about your interview and how to prepare can be found by following the "interview preparation" button on your interview invite once you have been selected for interview. Please check your inbox and spam folder and read the invite carefully. 

I've received an interview invite but my UCAS Applicant Hub has not been updated.

Our interview process is independent from UCAS, so unfortunately this will not update on your UCAS Applicant Hub.

If you have received an email from us inviting you to an interview, then please be assured you have been selected. The date, time and location of your interview is on your email and further details about how to prepare for your interview can be found by clicking the "interview preparation" button on the email. 

Fees and funding

What do I need to know about fees and scholarships?

You can find out all you need to know about paying your tuition fees, deposit and about the cost of living on our fees and funding page.

Remember to check your offer letter to see if you are eligible for one of our scholarships. You may also be able to apply for one of our other international scholarships.

Applying for your student visa

Applying for your student visa

To apply for your visa, you must have an unconditional offer to study here and you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from us, to show that we will be your immigration sponsor. Once you have met all of your offer conditions, we will get in touch with you with information about how to request your CAS.

Find out more about applying for a visa from outside the UK. Alternatively you can get support if you are applying for a visa from inside the UK

Find the deadline to apply for your CAS

Campus life

What's Salford like?

Salford is in the heart of Greater Manchester, but whilst it’s just 2km from the buzzing Manchester city centre, it has its own community feel.

If you enjoy the outdoors, then you'll find Peel Park, one of the first public parks in the country, conveniently located next to Peel Park Campus. It’s the perfect place for an afternoon walk or an early morning jog before your studies.

Culturally there’s lots to see and do - Salford is home to MediaCity and The Lowry, plus Salford Museum and Art Gallery is right on Peel Park Campus!

Get the insider's guide to the local area, things to do, and life on campus on our Made in Salford blog.

What's the local transport network like?

We’re well connected by public transport with Salford Crescent train station located right between our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses making it easy to travel into Manchester city centre and further afield. There’s a Metrolink stop opposite our building at MediaCity if you’re using the city’s tram network. Don’t forget the regular bus links between the city centre and all three campuses - you can use your student ID card to get between MediaCity and Peel Park for free on the number 50 Stagecoach bus!

Am I able to park on campus?

Yes, and we have multiple car parks available across our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses - take a look at our campus map for more information. 

If you choose to use a University car park, you will need a valid parking session which students can purchase hourly, weekly, monthly or annually. There are several ways to pay for your parking, and you can find more information, including prices, on our dedicated webpage

Parking at our MediaCity site is a little bit more limited, but if you do decide to drive, take a look at the MediaCity parking guide for more information.


What clubs and societies do you have?

At Salford, we understand that a student’s experience goes beyond the academic teaching on your course. We have a wide range of societies, sports groups and social activities on offer so that you can pursue your passion or try something new.

Student support

What student support services are in place at Salford?

We want you to enjoy your time studying at Salford, but we understand that you may need a little extra support. askUS is our dedicated student support service, offering advice and information on a range of matters, from finance to wellbeing and counselling to disability and learner support.

I'm worried about my mental health.

Within our dedicated student support service, askUS, the Wellbeing and Counselling team are on hand to support you throughout your studies. Find out about our Wellbeing service, including who to speak to about your mental health and guidance on how to ensure you remain supported once you start university. 

Previous students tell us that getting support in place early or ensuring any existing support they had in place was transferred to Salford, really helped them to enjoy and succeed in their studies, so we would encourage you to start the process as soon as possible. 

For more information, please call the Wellbeing team on 0161 295 0023 (option 1, option 1) or email wellbeing@salford.ac.uk.

Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity, are also here to help you. They have established a resource called transitions, to provide you with information and tips to guide you through the process of moving and settling in to life at university. 


I need information about childcare.

We understand that as a parent of young children, you need support at a time and place that suits you. We currently have nursery facilities on our campus and in partnership with Busy Bees. You may also wish to contact our dedicated student support service, askUS, for further information and advice.

How does Salford support prospective students from under-represented groups?

We offer a range of support and advice through askUS. We will support you every step of the way, and as a student at Salford, you will have access to our counselling and wellbeing services to ensure you reach your full potential.

Accommodation and commuting

How do I book accommodation?

We know accommodation is an important decision for you to make as part of your applicant journey!

We work with our accommodation partners, Campus Living Villages (CLV), who manage two accommodation villages: Peel Park Quarter, and John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts.

Bookings for rooms at both of these sites are made through the CLV website and we expect bookings for September 2024 to open in Spring 2024.

If you have any queries about booking accommodation with CLV you can ring the team on +44 (0) 161 667 5010.

Are there any other accommodation providers?

Many of our students decide to live off-campus and there are loads of other options to find a great place to live. If you want to live off-campus, you can find examples of alternative accommodation providers on our accommodation page.

A range of accommodation is available through Manchester Student Homes, a free, university-run housing service for students. They offer independent housing advice and only advertise properties from accredited landlords who have signed up to their Code of Standards. For more information on their services, please visit Manchester Student Homes.

You can also contact them directly, by calling +44 (0) 161 275 7680 or emailing manchesterstudenthomes@manchester.ac.uk.

I'll be commuting to Salford - what is student life like as a commuter?

You may decide that commuting to University is the best option for you, and there are plenty of public transport links to help you get to our campus.

Salford Crescent train station is situated right by our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses, connecting you to Manchester city centre and beyond. MediaCity is accessible by tram, and there are frequent bus services between all three sites and the wider Greater Manchester area.

Our two common rooms, one in University House at Peel Park and another in Allerton Building at Frederick Road, have been created with commuter students in mind. They feature spaces for individual or group study, as well as areas to relax in, watch TV, and enjoy your lunch with friends.

You can read more about the day in the life of a commuting student.

Teaching and learning

When will I get my timetable?

Once you have registered as a student with us, you will receive an email with a link to your personal timetable. 

In the meantime, you may wish to have a read through some general timetable guidance.



How will I be taught and assessed?

Teaching and assessment methods vary from course to course depending on the type of subject you're studying - some will be more practical with workshops and interactive assessments, whilst others will have traditional lectures and essays.

If you're unsure about what is involved in your course, then we recommend searching our range of courses and then selecting the relevant course page for all the details about your chosen programme.


My question isn't listed on this page, how can I contact you?

If you have any other questions, you can contact us via email: salford-international@salford.ac.uk