Skip to main content



Please visit the website to find out about how to apply for your student funding. The application form is available on the website, along with guidance notes. If you need further help, Student Finance England can be contacted on 0300 100 0607. Remember that you have to re-apply for your funding each year and make sure you submit your application on time, a few months in advance of the start of your academic year.

You may apply to Student Finance England if you are ordinarily resident in England, alternatively you will have to apply to Student Finance Wales, Northern Ireland or SAAS (Scotland) if you are normally resident elsewhere.  If you initially applied for a different University, please call Student Finance as soon as possible to inform them that you will be now studying at the University of Salford.

If you have been successful in securing a maintenance loan you should have received a ‘Students Entitlement’ letter from the Student Loans Company (SLC) detailing how much you will get and when you should expect each payment. You should be able to access a copy of this letter from your personal SLC account.

The maintenance loan will be paid directly to you in your own bank account, please check that these details are correct. Payments are made three times a year and are normally around the start of each term.

You can find further information here from Student Finance England

Student parents or those who have caring responsibilities can apply for the following grants from Student Finance England:

  • Childcare Grant- 85% of childcare costs (max per week of £159.59 for 1 child or £273.60 for 2 or more children).
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance – Up to £1,617 per year for travel and course costs (not available for NHS students).
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant - Up to £2,834 per year.

If you have any kind of disability, we advise you to contact Disability & Learner Support via or by calling 0161 295 0023 and pressing option 1 and then option 2 to arrange an appointment to discuss your study related needs and any funding that may be available to support you.

Students who are recommended a computer through Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) will be required to contribute £200 towards the cost. However, there is support available through the Salford Support Fund for those from low income households.

We are able to provide registered students with a bank letter. This details your name, address, programme of study, start date and end date. You may request the letter through our website

You may request to receive your letter either via post to your term time address or you may select to collect it from University House at the askUS desk, located at the front of the building.  

Please note that this cannot be used as evidence to verify your address with the bank. Our bank letters detail a disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating that the university is unable to verify the student's term time address. The reason for this is that each student is responsible for updating their own address and may change their address with no evidence at any time through our website. If you have been asked to provide evidence of your address, please refer to the bank which you are applying to for a list of suitable documents.

If you have not yet completed registration you are still able to request a letter but please be aware that it may not be acceptable for the purpose which you require it for. The letter will state that you are ‘eligible to register’ as opposed to a ‘registered student’.

When you complete registration here on campus you'll automatically be given access to an Inspire account. The scheme is open to all new home and EU undergraduate students joining a foundation year or year one of an undergraduate degree based at the University, and gives you £150 of credit to spend in a dedicated online store. You'll be able to buy learning resources such as text books, electronics or stationery, to give you the best possible start to your studies here at Salford. This scheme will run annually, meaning you’ll receive £150 of credits each year of your undergraduate degree if based here on campus.

For students from low-income backgrounds and living in areas where participation in higher education is low, there will also be the opportunity to receive an additional £350 of credits, bringing the total to £500 each year. This will be based on your personal circumstances and will be assessed at the point of registering as a student here in September.

For further details on the scheme and to get an idea of what you can buy, visit the Inspire site. You can also see full terms and conditions and some frequently asked questions on the website.


We have partnerships in place with Campus Living Villages (CLV) who manage Salford Student Village; consisting of Peel Park Quarter, John Lester and Eddie Coleman.

If you are due to start your course in January or February 2019, there is currently availability at both the Peel Park Quarter, and the John Lester and Eddie Coleman sites. To find out more about the rooms or book online, visit the accommodation website.

We also work with Manchester Student Homes (MSH) who accredit local providers of private accommodation.

Rooms available at Peel Park Quarter and John Lester & Eddie Colman for students starting in January and February 2019

Rooms at our Campus Living Villages (CLV) accommodation sites fill up very quickly and we advise our students to book as soon as possible. If you are due to start your course in January or February 2019, there is currently availability at both the Peel Park Quarter, and the John Lester and Eddie Coleman sites. To find out more about the rooms or book online, visit the accommodation website.

If you require further assistance please email or call 0161 6675010.

If all rooms become full at both sites then the team do operate a waiting list system and you can email to be added to this.

We would also encourage you to look on the Manchester Student Homes website or to book a hotel/hostel if you haven't acquired a room ahead of arrival on campus. We do run 'Find a Home' events throughout the academic year and if you'd like more information on these please let us know at

Registration, ID card and tuition fees

As a Home/EU student, you can complete your registration in full through our online registration portal. Find out what you will need to complete the process here

As an international student, you will be able to complete Steps 1 and 2 of the online registration portal. At this point you will then need to book and attend an appointment to check-in with the Home Office Compliance team. You can find the link to book an appointment in your email. During your appointment you will present your immigration documents, confirm your tuition fee payment, and finalise your registration. It is vital that you make and attend this appointment to ensure that Home Office UK Visa and Immigration requirements are met.

You will need:

  • An unconditional offer to study with us
  • Your registration log-in details. Your student ID number (i.e. @00123456) and PIN number (i.e. 12345) will be sent to you via email or text message shortly after your place has been confirmed
  • To confirm how you will pay your tuition fees. If Student Finance are paying your fees on your behalf, this will automatically update on your account. If you are experiencing problems with this our Tuition Fees and Bursaries team can help
  • To upload passport-quality photo for your ID card (new students only)
  • To attend a check-in appointment (students with a nationality outside of the EAA only)

If you are a new student this could be for a number of reasons. Please check that you are holding an unconditional offer by visiting the portal you applied through (i.e. UCAS Track or Applicant Portal).

You should also check your junk or spam folders to ensure your email hasn’t been blocked or filtered.

If you are an international student, please note that you will only receive your invitation to register once you have used your CAS to apply for a visa.

If you can’t see any reason why your email hasn’t been received, you can contact the Registration Team by telephoning +44(0)161 296 0023 (option 3, then option 1).

If you are a returning student this could be due to the fact that your School is yet to confirm your progression onto the next year of your programme. You will need to contact your School Office in the first instance to resolve the issue.

You should register well in advance of your programme start date, to ensure you do not miss important induction sessions and, if you are a taught student, before your teaching commences. If for any reason you will struggle to do so, you should let your school office know as soon as possible. Your school will consider your request and, if necessary, make arrangements for you to register late. Take note of the deadline given to you by your School, as you will not be able to access the online registration portal beyond that date.

If you are a new student and have never studied at the University of Salford before, you will be asked to order an ID card as part of the registration process. Make sure you upload a passport-quality photo when ordering your card; this is important to ensure you can start using your card straight away and without delay.

It normally takes at least 48 hours for us to produce your ID card once you have ordered it. Your registration emails will confirm the details of where to collect your ID card; remember to bring with you proof of registration along with some valid photo ID.

Valid photo ID is a passport, driving licence, national identity card or other legal document. If you do not have this available you will need to bring proof of your full name and address such as a bank statement or utility bill, and be prepared to answer some data protection questions.

Please wait to receive an email from within 2-4 weeks of completing your registration. This email will advise you of the next steps to take to obtain your ID card.

This could be due to a number of reasons – we have listed some of the common errors below with some guidance on what to do next.

  • Fees could not be calculated

The University is currently working to calculate your tuition fees and determine how fees will be paid. The Tuition Fees and Bursaries team will be notified automatically of your error and will be in touch with you directly to resolve the issue and help you to register. Please log out of the portal for now and wait for further information.

  • Not eligible to register – Registration Deadline Passed

You are trying to register beyond your programme start date. You will need to contact your school office in the first instance to request permission to register late.

  • Not eligible to register – No Progression Information

Your school is yet to confirm your progression onto the next year of your programme. You will need to contact your school office in the first instance to resolve the issue.

  • Unable to determine programme of study/residency

One or two details may be missing or incorrect on your student record. Please contact the Registration Team to resolve the issue by telephoning +44(0)161 296 0023 (option 3, then option 1) or emailing

  • Not eligible to register – registration holds in place (Right to Study Check)

If you have a nationality from outside the EEA there will be an additional step to your registration. You will need to complete this step before you can finish online registration. You should have received an email advising you about the Right to Study check which is required by the Home Office.  If you have any questions about this, you can contact the Home Office Compliance team by telephoning +44(0)161 296 0023 (option 3, then option 2) or emailing

Please quote your student ID on all payments made:

Account Name: University of Salford

Bank: Lloyds Bank

Account Number: 65050060

Sort Code: 30-95-42

IBAN: GB43 LOYD 3095 4265 0500 60

Swift Code: LOYDGB21004

We're sorry this has happened, please email with your full name and student ID number and a member of the registration team will look into this for you.

You will need to get a copy of your sponsor letter and email it to or send/bring it to Income & Treasury Team, Payment point, askUS, 2nd floor, University House, Salford, M5 4WT.

You will be able to complete online registration the next working day after it is received.

Alternatively if you wish to register immediately you can set up an instalment plan as a self-payer. Once you provide a sponsor letter then the instalment plan will be cancelled.

If you have not arranged your student loan and you want to register you can choose to do so as a self-payer and will need to set up an installment plan with the University until you provide confirmation that the Student Loan Company (SLC) will pay your fees. Once you provide this information from SLC, your payment plan will be cancelled and any money you have overpaid will be refund.

Once you have completed online registration, you will be emailed a Proof of Study letter, detailing your name, address, programme of study, your starting date and your end date. Students on full-time programmes will also be emailed a Council Tax Exemption letter. You may request an additional copy of either letter at any time through the askUS website. You may request to receive your letter either via post to your term time address or you may select to collect it from University House at the askUS desk, located at the front of the building.

As a new student you will be asked to set up your network access as part of the online registration process. You will be presented with a network username and will be asked to create your own unique password. Make a note of the details and keep them safe!

You can then use these log-in details immediately to access Blackboard (the University’s virtual learning environment) network PCs and WiFi on campus, and your email account. If you have any problems, please contact the IT Service Desk on +44(0)161 295 2444 or

Academic induction and timetable

These are introductory sessions run by your course that give you the opportunity to:

  • Meet your tutors
  • Socialise with new course mates
  • Find important information about your course


You can find an interactive campus map for all of our university buildings, car parks, cafes, university accommodation, public transport and buildings at the link below.

View campus map.

Take a look at the travel section of our website, where you can find details of how to reach us by train, bus and using the tram.

Our main campus, Peel Park, is just over a mile from Manchester city centre and a five minute journey by bus. Buses run every few minutes to the city centre, and if you're coming by train we’ve even got our own train station (Salford Crescent) on campus.

You can also use a free bus service that connects our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses to MediaCityUK.

There are around 400 spaces to park bicycles across all of the University campuses. The majority are contained within secure shelters. Please follow the link to our cycle parking and storage page.

Take a look at the travel section of our website, where you can find details of how to reach us by car.

You must have, and display, a valid permit OR pay by phone OR pay & display a ticket on arrival when parking on the University of Salford campus car parks. Motor vehicles [including motor cycles, motor scooters and mopeds] may only be parked in the official car parks and only in the spaces marked out for parking.

PayByPhone is the most convenient way to pay for parking. It’s easy, either use the app, do it online or call 0161 880 0100. Please have the car park location code ready, which is available on the signage in each car park.

The day rates allow customers to pay £1.20 for 90 minutes, £2.40 for 180 minutes and £4 for a whole day (9.00am-10.00pm).

Alternatively, you can park in the Farmer Norton car park for £2 all day or at the David Lewis (Wallness Lane) car park for two hours for free if you’re using the Sports Centre, providing you register with Sports Centre reception staff when you arrive.


The number 50 bus, operated by Stagecoach, runs every 10-15 minutes from Manchester city centre via our main Peel Park campus and Salford Shopping Centre. You can travel for free on this bus between the main university campuses and MediaCityUK, by producing your University ID card. To help plan your journey visit Transport for Greater Manchester's journey planner.


Trams run every six minutes between Manchester Piccadilly and MediaCityUK. The journey takes approximately 15 minutes.


There are over 300 cycle bays across the MediaCityUK site. Find a cycle hub where you can store your bike from just £2 a week here.


For those who need to travel by car, a new link road with the M602 motorway gives drivers the option to approach MediaCityUK from either end of Broadway. The M602 provides onward links to major routes leading in all directions. Please note that there is very limited parking at MediaCityUK.

We also have a MediaCityUK Guide for you.

Disability and Learner Support

If you have a disability, long term condition or Specific Learning Difficulty such as Dyslexia we advise you to contact Disability & Learner Support (DLS) via or by calling 0161 295 0023 (option 1, option 2) to discuss your study related needs. DLS can also support you in applying for Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) where further support such as  Non-Medical Helper 1-1 support, software and equipment may be recommended.  

It is never too early to request support. We encourage you to contact us at least 3 months in advance of your start date so we can ensure your needs are met ready for you starting your course. We are open through the summer and can offer a phone appointments as well as face to face appointments.

Students who are recommended a computer through Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) are required to contribute £200 towards the cost. However, there is support available through the Salford Support Fund for those from low income households.


We have worked closely with AccessAble to assess the accessibility of our campus and facilities. You can read more about this work here.

You can now find your way around our whole campus with our new free app, AccessAble Salford Uni.  Developed by Estates and Property Services in partnership with AccessABLE (the leading provider of access information for disabled people in the UK), this app includes detailed accessibility information about lecture halls, cafes and bars, toilets and halls of residence.   

Click here to find out more and download the app.

If you find barriers to your access, either temporary or permanent, please contact Estates & Property Services on 0161 295 4444 (, or Disability & Learner Support on 0161 295 0023 (option 1, option 2) or


We have accessible car parking spaces across campus. Blue badge holders can park for free. To obtain a parking permit, please take your blue badge to reception in Maxwell building. For information about locations and use, please contact our Estates office on 0161 295 4444 /


All university buildings are equipped with a Deaf Alerter radio-based fire alarm warning and public address messaging system.


Salford Crescent train station is on campus, but is not part of the University. Access is by steps or lift.


For further information regarding disabled access please visit AccessAble or contact the manager of the building you wish to visit (You can find out who the building manager is here).

Please contact Disability & Learner Support for study related support.

Our Students’ Union

You can go to see them in person at the info point in University House, ring them on 0161 351 5400 or email them via

You can pick up your NUS card from the Students’ Union info point in the foyer of University House.

You can go to the Students’ Union Info Point in the foyer of University House. You can also ring the Students’ Union (SU) on 0161 351 5400 or email them via  

The websites, where you can find more information, are or

Get in touch

Q. Who can I contact for help and advice?

A. If there’s anything else you’d like to know then askUS. askUS is our dedicated specialist support service for all students. Whether it’s finances, wellbeing, faith, support with your studies or disability, our askUS staff can give you the right advice, when you need it most, all under one roof.

Pop in and see us in University House or at one of our points across campus or askUS…

…and we’ll answer all those burning questions.

If your query relates to your programme or course, you should contact your School Office. You can find the contact details for your School via the following web page:

School contact details