Disability Inclusion Service

Our Disability and Inclusion Service works with you to ensure you have fair and equal access to your education.

Sometimes there are factors that mean you need adjustments put in place, which is why have Inclusive and Accessible teaching in place for all students. If you need additional adjustments, we create Reasonable Adjustment Plans (RAP).

If you experience a disability, long-term condition or a specific learning difficulty, then you may be entitled to appropriate academic support in your teaching and assessments. This can include extra time for assessments, extended book loans from the Library and support for field trips.

We can discuss the Inclusive and Accessible Teaching and Learning Framework with you to explore ways in which we can give support. Where you require additional support, we can create a Reasonable Adjustment Plan.

People using laptop

Contacting us

You can easily contact us via askUS or get in contact with us directly to enquire about Reasonable Adjustment Plans, dyslexia assessments or any other support you’d like to know more about. Current students can also find out more on our topics page. If you’re applying to study with us, you can tell us about your disability or learning difficulty via your UCAS form or at registration.

Email: disability@salford.ac.uk
Phone: +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 1, option 2)
Student Hub: Disability and Inclusion Service

Ways we can help

Reasonable Adjustment Plans (RAPs)

RAPs identify barriers that your course may present and outline adjustments to support your learning such as to your learning environment and assessments.

Find out more

Funding for Support

You may be able to apply for the funding if you require disability-related support. It’s a non-means-tested and non-repayable source of funding to help meet extra costs of studying.

Find out more

Support for specific disabilities and conditions

Your support needs will vary depending on your individual situation. We’ve got support in place for various disabilities as a guide for what help you may need.

Academic support is available for students with disabilities and conditions. We may be able to offer support for temporary injuries too.

Find out more

Inclusive and Accessible Teaching

Our University has introduced inclusive and accessible teaching for all students to remove barriers to learning, enhance your learning experience, enable you to become independent and autonomous in your learning and to independently develop graduate attributes and skills during your studies. This practice includes areas around note-making, recordings, in-class activity, reading lists, glossaries, scheduling, assessment and more. We also have range of assistive software that you can use. More information is available for current students Student Hub

  • Note-making
    Lecture materials are released a minimum of 24 hours in advance for a scheduled session where possible. Any documents are uploaded to Blackboard.
  • Recording
    Record sessions with your own recording devise to ensure you capture the content of the sessions and can actively engage.

Educational Psychologist Assessments

Educational Psychologists can identify specific learning difficulties like dyslexia and dyspraxia. The assessment lasts between two and three hours and takes place on campus. Assessments can be booked through the Disability Inclusion Service and costs are mainly covered by the University – we just ask for a contribution of £50 toward the cost.

It’s not about ‘passing’ or ‘failing’, so don’t worry. It’s just about helping you understand your strengths and any challenges you might have while learning and helps us provide you with the most relevant support. The assessment includes:

  • Cognitive tests: These allow the psychologist to consider your strengths and weaknesses. This may highlight why some styles of study are better for you.
  • A literacy assessment to look at reading, writing and spelling in order to formulate an understanding of your achievements in these areas

The Educational Psychologist will produce a report from the outcomes of the assessment. Our Advisers will use this report to make recommendations towards your Reasonable Adjustment Plan and to apply for DSA or external funding where applicable.