Health and safety for disabled students

Sometimes you may need additional help when you are studying or on campus. We've outlined how we can help with emergency evacuation plans, other emergency situations and risk assessments below.

Emergency evacuation plans

We have a General Emergency Evacuation Plan (GEEP) in place to ensure your safety if you may have trouble evacuating buildings in an emergency. Please familiarise yourself with the GEEP so that you know what to do in an emergency.


Urgent or emergency situations

We use SafeZone to help look after our university community. All students are encouraged to download the SafeZone app to receive updates about any urgent situations on campus and so our Security team can help you as soon as possible if you need urgent assistance.

You can set up your profile on SafeZone to give First Aiders important information about yourself. For example, if you experience panic attacks, you might want to put information on your profile about how best to assist you when you are experiencing one.

If you have a disability that may require First Aid support, please use the template below to set up your SafeZone profile.  

  • Name of condition(s) and/or allergies: Please list any health conditions you have e.g., Epilepsy; Anxiety; Peanut Allergy
  • Medication/s: Please list any medications you take e.g., Anti-Epileptic Drugs; Propranolol; EpiPen
  • Symptoms of condition/s: Please list any symptoms of this condition that might require first aid support e.g., Tonic-Clonic seizures; Panic attacks; Anaphylaxis
  • How best to help me: Please describe how first aiders should help you e.g., Time the seizure, if the seizure lasts more than 5 minutes, call an ambulance


Risk assessments

If you feel like you need further support managing disability-related risk while on campus, you may need to conduct a Risk Assessment with your school. Please contact the team for advice if you feel this might be the case.