A part-time job is a great way to develop your employability skills and enhance your CV, as well as support yourself financially while at University.
Opportunities are available across a range of sectors, all of which will allow you the chance to brush up on the skills that employers want.
Examples of skills that you can develop through part-time or vacation-period work can include customer service, communication, team-working, problem-solving, flexibility, time management, leadership, numeracy and dealing with difficult situations and/or people.
When job hunting, it is advisable to create a strong CV and Covering Letter. You will find resources to help you form both of these documents under the CVs, Applications and Interviews section. We strongly recommend keeping a record of your applications – when you are making a number of applications, it is easy to confuse deadlines, roles you have applied for and which company does what.
A speculative application is a way to see if an employer has any available opportunities, especially if they do not appear to be actively recruiting.
Always research a company before you make a speculative approach. It is good practice to include an accompanying covering letter with your CV, explaining what type of opportunity you are seeking and why you want to work for the employer.
At the University
Advantage - We advertise part-time, placement and volunteering opportunities through Advantage, which you can continue to access once you graduate.
Unitemps - Our on-campus recruitment agency based within University House. You can speak to advisers about temporary, part-time or full-time jobs within the University or local community.
University of Salford Students' Union - Offer a number of paid and unpaid opportunities throughout the year.
SALFOOD - Operate a number of on-campus food outlets. Opportunities are advertised online.
Local retail jobs
Manchester Arndale - Lists vacancies for all the shops within the Arndale Centre.
The Lowry Outlet Mall - Located in Salford Quays/Media City.
Salford Shopping Centre - Located close to the University, a combination of retail stores and food outlets.
Try searching for all the local retail parks and shopping centres, for example, West One Retail Park, Eccles or Swinton Square Shopping Centre. If you can’t find a website to apply on, you would need to drop off your CV in person.
Bar and restaurant jobs
Bars and cafés: Spinningfields - Home to over 165 financial and commercial services as well as international fashion brands, restaurants and bars.
Booths, Media City UK - A small, national supermarket chain.
Wagamama Media City UK - A restaurant chain serving Japanese food.
Bella Italia, Salford Quays - A national Italian restaurant branch.
Pizza Express - A national Italian restaurant branch.
Prezzo Media City UK - A national Italian restaurant branches.
Barzone - A specialist jobs board for pubs across the UK.
Local supermarket jobs
Arts, leisure and volunteering
- HOME Manchester - A centre for art, theatre and film events.
- Imperial War Museum North - One of five historical museums across the UK.
- Manchester Museum - A museum owned by the University of Manchester.
- The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays - A centre for art, theatre and film events at Media City.
- Media City UK Jobs (BBC, ITV, SIS)
- Royal Exchange Theatre - A centre for art and theatre in central Manchester.
- People’s History Museum - The national museum of democracy located between Manchester and Salford, next to Spinningfields.
- Hotel Football - A football themed hotel close to Old Trafford football stadium.
- Lancashire County Cricket Club - Home ground of Lancashire County cricket team and a regular host of big music events.
- Salford Community Leisure - Run a range of libraries, leisure centres and venues across Salford.
- Chill Factore - The UK's longest indoor snow slope offering lots of snow based activities.
- Manchester Palace Theatre and Opera House - Two big theatre venues in the city centre.
- Museum of Science and Industry - Part of the Science Museum Group who also own the Science Museum in London and Railway Museum in York.
- National Football Museum, Manchester - Over 2,500 objects, interactive activities and a changing programme of temporary exhibitions, linking football to topics as diverse as fashion, history, art and the First World War.
- Manchester City Football Club Jobs.
- Manchester United Football Club Jobs.
Other sources of part-time jobs
NHS Jobs - Jobs for all NHS Trusts across the country.
Agency Central - Recruitment agency database. You can search by industry and by location.
Directgov Universal Jobmatch - A Government site for job seekers.
Employment 4 Students - Part-time and vacation work across the UK.
Universal extras - TV and Film extra work for students.
Mystery shopping - Mystery shoppers help companies gain insights into the customer service experience of consumers. Search for credible agencies via the Mystery Shopping Professionals Association.
Studentjobs4U - Part-time and vacation jobs.
Christmas is a good time to look for work, especially if you don't want to work during term time. Employers start to advertise for their Christmas jobs around early November, so this is the time to look for work and submit your application. Retail and hospitality are the main areas to recruit at this time. Amazon and Royal Mail create positions over Christmas to meet high demand.
Why not watch our 'Job Hunting' LinkedIn Tutorial, for tips on how to focus your job search?
Speak to a careers adviser
Our Careers Advisers are on hand to help. Book an appointment on Advantage or by calling 0161 295 0023 (option 5).
Appointments are available for current students and graduates of the University of Salford only.