Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SBS@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for business students
Books & Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search.
- United Nations Global Compact - - a voluntary initiative based on CEO commitments to implement universal sustainability principles and to take steps to support UN goals.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- The British Library Business & Management Portal - Reports and other publications such as briefings, conference papers and case studies from a wide range of organisations active in the field of business and management research.
- International Chamber of Commerce
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 20 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 20 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 15This session is aimed at undergraduate and masters level students who wish to improve their critical thinking, reading and writing skills.
- Starts: 22 Oct 2021, 11:00 amFinishes: 22 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 36The Writing Café is primarily a self-guided study space for students to work on assignments. It is based on the premise that good writing takes practice and reflection. This workshop will be delivered online.
- Starts: 25 Oct 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 25 Oct 2021, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 26This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This webinar will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is online.
- Starts: 19 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 19 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 7This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 28 September.
- Starts: 20 Oct 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 20 Oct 2021, 11:30 amRemaining places: 12Need to create a PowerPoint academic poster for an assignment, or perhaps you need it for presenting at a conference? Get some tips and make a start at this webinar.
- Starts: 25 Oct 2021, 4:00 pmFinishes: 25 Oct 2021, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 9This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 4 October.