Your First Year
Academic Essentials is our interactive online eLearning content to support you to study at level 4 as you transition to learning at university. It will help you to develop the core skills you need to be successful.
At the end of the eLearning you will be directed to complete a short quiz (in Blackboard) to test your knowledge of the topic. If you pass the quiz you will earn a digital badge.
There are 8 connected topics to complete. You may be directed to these from your programme modules in Blackboard. Provided you pass each of the quizzes your engagement with the content will be captured. The content is available via Blackboard.
Introduction to academic assessments
- Academic Integrity in Assessment [30 mins]
- Approaching your assessments: six steps to success [30 mins]
- Assessment methods at university [20 mins]
- Understanding your assessment brief [20 mins]
Find and use academic information effectively in assessments
- Module reading lists and how they can help with assessments [10 mins]
- Search the web well for University work [15 mins]
- How to use Library Search to find academic information to use in your assessments [15 mins]
- Academic information and why it is important [10 mins]
- Planning your search for academic information [15 mins]
- Read, take notes and use academic information in your assessments [10 mins]
- Elevate your skills and knowledge with us! We offer a wide range of skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments, improve your study skills or focus on your career plans this is a great place to start.
Check out our list of workshops below, and secure your spot by simply clicking on the workshop title and booking via Advantage. If a session is already full, don't worry - you can add yourself to the waiting list.
Our online workshops are delivered through Collaborate, offering you a convenient and interactive learning experience. Upon booking, you'll receive a confirmation email containing a session link. Plus, if you're concerned about your internet connection, no problem! You can also join Collaborate workshops via a dial-in option. Just reach out to the event organizer for guidance on using this feature.
Workshops are added regularly, so keep checking back to see what's new!
- Starts: 8 Dec 2023, 3:00 pmFinishes: 8 Dec 2023, 4:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 10This one-hour EXAM SESSION for MOS certification takes place ON CAMPUS. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 26 Jan 2024, 3:00 pmFinishes: 26 Jan 2024, 4:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 10This one-hour EXAM SESSION for MOS certification takes place ON CAMPUS. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.