Borrow books and resources
Borrowing and returning a book
Running time: 0:41
How to borrow books
You may borrow books from our main collections for up to 13 weeks.
If all copies of the book you require are on loan you may request a copy through Click and Collect and we will email you once it is available.
If another customer requests the book, you will need to return it, if this is the case, we will contact you.
Some items are for use in the library only and may not be borrowed. These are marked 'Reference'.
How do I borrow a book?
You can use the self-service machines to borrow books at Clifford Whitworth and Media City Libraries. These are located near the entrance at Clifford Whitworth and on the 3rd floor at Media City.
Instructions for using the self-issue machines are displayed on the touch screens but please do ask a member of Library staff for help if you need it.
You will be unable to use the self-service machines if:
- You have reached your loan limit
- Your Library card is blocked due to unpaid fines/overdue loans and recalls
- Your Library card is damaged
- Your Library card is expired
If your card isn’t working, please contact a member of staff and we will assist you.
How Click & Collect works
- Use Library Search to browse 1000's of titles. Once you have found the item you need, reserve it by logging into your library account and clicking request (maximum five items per visit).
- Our helpful staff will pick the title from our shelves and send you an email to alert you that it is ready to collect. Make sure you use your student email address, not a personal email address, so we can ensure the item is reserved for the right person. Please note that items may not be available to collect on the same day, so be sure to plan in advance!
- You should collect your chosen item from the request shelf (located behind the host desk at the entrance of the library) and bring your ID card along with you. Requests will be ordered alphabetically by surname.
- Unable to collect the book yourself? You can select a nominated person to collect the item by emailing us at email@example.com and providing your name, the name of the person collecting the item and the selected date and time of collection. They will need to bring along your student ID card to issue the book to your account.
Remember to use the self service machines to issue your collected items to your Library account.
How many items can I borrow?
|Undergraduates||Final year undergraduates / Postgraduates / Uni staff|
|25 items||35 items|