Film, TV and Stage Design
Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SAM@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for Film, TV and Stage Design students
Whilst Library Search is your starting point when researching a topic, sometimes it’s helpful to restrict your search to one of our specialist sources.
- Taylor & Francis Journals - Excellent for articles about all kinds of cultural topics.
- Box of Broadcasts - Thousands of TV programmes, including drama and an excellent source for Films.
- Kanopy – Another great source for films from all genres, but especially good for independent and international films.
- Digital Theatre + - A great resource for video of theatre productions as well as interviews with performers, directors and others. Well worth exploring.
- Arts & Humanities Database - Lots of articles on all kinds of cultural topics.
- JSTOR - A great range of books and articles on all kind of topics including design.
- LS:N Global - An excellent resource for information about design trends and great for images to provide inspiration.
- Google Scholar – Always worth checking for academic books and journals. To get the most from it, make sure you’ve added Library Access to your browser.
Books & Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. All our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
LinkedIn Learning offers thousands of professionally produced online courses covering technical, creative and professional skills and including lots on film making.
Always use our institutional login to log in – you will need your University email address and password.
The first time you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Find out more in our video: Using LinkedIn Learning at Salford.
APA 7th Edition is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 10 Oct 2023, 11:00 amFinishes: 10 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 35This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 12 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 12 Oct 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Peel, Peel Building room 106Remaining places: 18This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them. This workshop will be delivered on campus.
- Starts: 16 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 16 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 40This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 27 Sep 2023, 5:00 pmFinishes: 27 Sep 2023, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 83Find out about the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford.
- Starts: 5 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 5 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 14This is a one-hour online EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 11 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 11 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 99This workshop will introduce you to the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford. This workshop will be delivered online.