Your Guide on How to Apply Through Clearing
Wondering how to apply through Clearing? Don’t worry, we’ve put together a Clearing guide to help put your mind at ease. From outlining how the process works to finding to your dream course, we make applying through Clearing easy and stress-free.
University of Salford Clearing is now open. Learn more about the courses we offer and how to apply. We can’t wait to welcome you!
Whether you haven't applied to university, your results aren't what you were expecting, or you've declined your firm and insurance choices and are looking for new options, find out everything you need to know in our university Clearing guide – from how to apply through Clearing to when Clearing 2022 opens.
How does Clearing work?
Before you learn how to apply through Clearing, it’s important to know what Clearing is and how it works. University of Salford Clearing matches applicants to course places that are yet to be filled. It’s available to anyone who wants to start university this year.
So, how does Clearing work? And what does the process of applying through Clearing involve? If your grades aren't what you were expecting, you don’t have a university place, or you’ve changed your mind about where or what you want to study, Clearing gives you a second opportunity to apply by enabling you to find courses that still have places available.
In line with UCAS Clearing advice, you can consider applying to uni through Clearing if you:
- Are applying after 30 June 2022
- Didn’t get your firm or insurance choice universities
- Have changed your mind about where or what you want to study
- Didn’t receive any offers when you first applied
- Were unsure about university during the first round of applications and didn’t apply
When does Clearing open?
So, when does Clearing open in 2022? Clearing starts on 5 July 2022. If you applied to university through UCAS by 30 June 2022, but don't meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, or didn’t receive an offer from a UK university, you will automatically be entered into the university Clearing process.
If you're applying to university for the first time after 30 June 2022, you can also apply for a course through Clearing.
If you’re thinking about applying through Clearing, you will need to have your exam results before you apply.
How to apply through Clearing
Applying to uni through Clearing is how thousands of students obtain a place on their ideal course every year, but it’s always good to prepare yourself for results day, which can feel stressful if you’re not familiar with the Clearing process.
If you’re still feeling unsure about whether applying to uni through Clearing is right for you, don’t worry – we’ve outlined a range of scenarios that might apply to your situation.
I haven’t applied anywhere yet.
If you want to apply to a course through the University of Salford Clearing process, we recommend applying as soon as possible. Clearing opens on 5 July 2022 and you can apply as soon as you have your results. To find out what's available in Clearing, search our courses today.
If you haven’t registered with UCAS, you can make your application directly through us. As soon as you have your exam results and are ready to apply, get in touch with our friendly Clearing team who will assist with your application and answer any questions you have.
If you need support or guidance with your course choice or application, then don’t worry. Contact our helpful team to discuss your exam results, what course you’d like to study and why you want to join the University of Salford. We’ll be happy to guide you on how to apply through Clearing.
Before you call us, make sure you have the following information handy:
- Which course or courses interest you.
- Details of your qualifications (including GCSEs, A-Levels and BTECs).
Once you’ve contacted us to discuss the course you are interested in, we will send you an application form that you should submit, along with copies of any relevant certificates. We will then assess your application and update you on the outcome within five working days.
I applied to university through UCAS, but I didn’t get any offers.
If you applied to university through UCAS by 30 June 2022 but didn’t receive any offers, you will be automatically entered into Clearing, giving you a second opportunity to secure a university place that starts in September.
- As soon as you have your exam results, you will be able to apply to the University of Salford.
- When you’re ready to apply, contact our friendly team to discuss your options – research our courses now to find out what we offer.
- Before you call, get details of which courses interest you, your UCAS ID and your qualifications to hand.
- If you are offered a place with us through Clearing, you will need to add this new course to your UCAS Track.
I applied to university through UCAS, but I didn’t get the grades for my firm or insurance choice.
We understand that it can be disheartening to not get the grades you’ve worked so hard for. However, even if it wasn’t your original plan, applying through Clearing can lead you on an exciting new path, with new possibilities, a new course, a new city and new friends.
Follow these steps from our Clearing guide to find out how to apply through Clearing:
- The first thing to do is to check the status of your application via UCAS Track to see if your firm or insurance choice university has confirmed your place.
- If you’ve been unsuccessful at your chosen university, you can contact our friendly Clearing team to discuss your options.
- Before you call, make sure that you have the following information handy:
- Which course or courses interest you.
- Your UCAS ID.
- Details of your qualifications (such as GCSEs, A-Levels and BTECs).
- If we offer you a place through Clearing, you will need to add this new course as your Clearing choice.
I’ve accepted a place elsewhere, but I want to study at Salford.
We’re so happy to hear that you’re considering the University of Salford. Follow these steps to find out what to do next:
- If you’ve been accepted by your firm or insurance choice university but want to study at the University of Salford instead, you can contact our friendly Clearing team to discuss your options.
- If we offer you a place through Clearing and you choose to accept it, you will need to visit UCAS Track and release yourself into Clearing. You’ll then need to add your new course as a Clearing choice on UCAS.
- Before you release yourself into Clearing, please make sure that you talk to us first to check our vacancies and your eligibility for the course you want to study.
- Search our full list of courses today.
Salford is my first choice, but I’m not sure if my place is confirmed.
- To see whether your place is confirmed, you can check UCAS Track or call our confirmation helpline.
- If your place with us is confirmed – congratulations! We’ll be in touch with you soon with details about what happens next.
- If you’ve been unsuccessful, we’re sorry – this means we’re unable to offer you a place on your chosen course this year. If this happens, you can still contact our friendly Confirmation team to discuss your options.
How long do universities take to respond to Clearing applications?
Once you’ve decided that you’ll be applying to uni through Clearing, you’ll probably be anxious to hear back. So how long do universities take to respond to Clearing applications? The University of Salford Clearing team will confirm your place with five working days.
In 2022 you'll be able to use Clearing Plus, a tool developed by UCAS designed to match you to your ideal course. If you’re applying through Clearing and this is the first time you've applied to a university, or if you previously applied but didn’t receive an offer, you’re eligible to use Clearing Plus. Learn more about how Clearing Plus works on the UCAS website.
The University of Salford Clearing Guide
We understand the university Clearing process can feel a bit overwhelming, and that applying through Clearing is sometimes an unexpected situation to find yourself in.
Choosing the right university and course is a big decision, and one you may feel pressured into making quickly. If you’re thinking about applying through Clearing 2022, we recommend getting a head start on doing your research – the sooner you start this, the better. That way, you have more time to consider your options.
When you’re researching different options for applying to uni through Clearing, make sure you find out about the university’s location, what modules are offered on your course, the facilities available and whether the style of teaching is going to suit you. These factors will differ at each university, which is why it’s important to find out as much as you can before applying.
It's also wise to look around universities wherever possible. We know that this is an important part of the Clearing process, which is why we recommend exploring virtual tours and Clearing events, like the campus tours we’re offering over summer.
During the process of figuring out the best option for you, it’s a good idea to speak to your teachers, parents, and friends. They might have useful advice or may have been through the process themselves.
Get Early Access
We know that Clearing can seem complicated, so we've created the Early Access Club to help explain and simplify the process. When you subscribe to the Early Access Club, we'll send you a dedicated phone number that gives you priority access when you call our Clearing advisors. We'll also send you regular, myth-busting emails, packed with advice and tips about Clearing. Subscribe today and get support with your next steps in Clearing.
Becky, who applied to the Univiersity of Salford Clearing to study Zoology, tells us about her experience:
“Looking back, the Clearing process was much easier than I’d thought. Before I called, I was quite nervous and thought I’d need to answer lots of questions. But it wasn’t like that at all – they just wanted to get to know me and find out whether I’d be the right person for the course. When they asked me if I’d like to apply it was just a few questions over the phone. Then after a quick chat with the tutor I was offered a place.”
Click to explore
- Accounting and Finance Clearing Courses
- Architecture Clearing Courses
- Biomedical Science Clearing Courses
- Business Management Clearing Courses
- Chemical Sciences Clearing Courses
- Computer Science Clearing Courses
- Criminology and Sociology Clearing Courses
- Construction Clearing Courses
- Engineering Clearing Courses
- English and Creative Writing Clearing Courses
- Exercise and Nutrition Clearing Courses
- Fashion Clearing Courses
- Journalism Clearing Courses
- Law Clearing Courses
- Marine Biology, Zoology and Wildlife Conservation Clearing Courses
- Music Clearing Courses
- Physics Clearing Courses
- Politics Clearing Courses
- Psychology Clearing Courses
- Surveying Clearing Courses
- Sports Science Clearing Courses
If you've got a question about Clearing, contact us today. The fastest way to reach us is by calling 0300 555 5030.
If now's not a good time to call, you can also request a call back. Just complete the form on our request a call back page and we'll get in touch within one working day.
If you're ready to apply, calling us is the quickest way to secure your offer, but if you can't call now you can also apply online. Simply complete the form on our online application page and one of our Clearing advisors will get in touch.
Want to ask us a question via email? Contact us on email@example.com.