Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SEE@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for robotics students
International Federation of Robotics - International Industry group concerned with commercial robotics. The site includes news, case studies, blog posts and a robot history.
UK Robotics BARA - The British Automation & Robot Association aim to promote the use and development of Industrial Robots and Automation in British industry.
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society - A membership organisation scientific and technological knowledge in Robotics and Automation. Some of the content is open access, but if you are asked to log in to read more, click the Shibboleth link, search for Salford University and use your network username and password.
LinkedIn Learning offers over 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Always use our institutional link to log in – you will need your University email address and password. The first time that you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Use the Search form to see the suite of subjects and courses available that are of particular use for Robotics.
Discover more in our video: Using LinkedIn Learning at Salford.
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 6 Jun 2022, 1:00 pmFinishes: 6 Jun 2022, 2:30 pmRemaining places: 29This session is aimed at undergraduate and master's level students who wish to improve their critical thinking, reading and writing skills. This workshop will be delivered online.
- Starts: 7 Jun 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 7 Jun 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, L219Remaining places: 30This session explores the elements that make up an academic argument, how to write your own and to challenge ones you disagree with. This is an on campus event.
- Starts: 16 Jun 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 16 Jun 2022, 1:15 pmRemaining places: 33This session will explore the elements that make up an academic argument, how to write your own and to challenge ones you disagree with.
- Starts: 31 May 2022, 10:00 amFinishes: 31 May 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: Frederick Road Campus, Allerton, C811Remaining places: 7Ready to start writing up? Learn about heading styles & captions to create automatic Table of Contents, Table of Figures, etc. Apply different page number formats & change page orientation via Section breaks. This workshop requires a basic knowledge of Word. This workshop is on campus.
- Starts: 16 Jun 2022, 4:00 pmFinishes: 16 Jun 2022, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 7This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 26 May.
- Starts: 22 Jun 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 22 Jun 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 10This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 1 June.
- Starts: 14 Jun 2022, 2:30 pmFinishes: 14 Jun 2022, 3:30 pmRemaining places: 40This workshop will show you how to find and use electronic books (eBooks) in Library Search. This workshop will showcase eBooks and what they can do, and will include tips on using built-in tools to help save you time and advice on targeting your reading. This workshop is online.
- Starts: 21 Jun 2022, 5:00 pmFinishes: 21 Jun 2022, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 36This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This workshop will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is online.
- Starts: 12 Jul 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 12 Jul 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Clifford Whitworth University Library, Clifford Whitworth Library, Learning Suite 1Remaining places: 18This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This workshop will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is on campus.