Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-HealthandSociety@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for nursing students
Books and Journals
The first place to look for books and journals is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
We provide access to quality academic information and evidence - use it to improve your studies:
- British Nursing Index - Provides references to literature in the most relevant nursing and midwifery journals and has mainly UK coverage, plus access to key worldwide publications.
- CINHAL - Offers a systemised approach to searching for articles and research in the areas of health, nursing and midwifery.
- Cochrane Library - A collection of resources that contain different types of high-quality, independent evidence, including a wide range of systematic reviews.
- Intermid, Internurse & MA healthcare - A collection of 18 full text journals covering nursing, nurse prescribing, children's, mental health, community and palliative care nursing.
- Medline [EBSCO] - Provides access to medical and life science articles and other research.
- Visible body - Access to a visual collection of anatomy, physiology and pathology 3D visual reference materials.
See a full list of nursing databases on Library Search
For information on symptoms use Clinical knowledge summaries
For NHS policies, guidance and evidence use Evidence Search
It's important to stay up to date with current development in your field, these social media accounts can help:
You have access to thousands of professionally produced online courses via LInkedIn Learning covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
You will find lots of courses including developing communication skills, managing professional relationships, fine tuning your digital skills or preparing for job interviews and so much more.
APA 7th Edition is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 10 Oct 2023, 11:00 amFinishes: 10 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 35This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 12 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmFinishes: 12 Oct 2023, 2:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Peel, Peel Building room 106Remaining places: 18This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them. This workshop will be delivered on campus.
- Starts: 16 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 16 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 40This workshop is aimed at new students. This workshop covers the different types of assessments at university and how to get started on them.
- Starts: 27 Sep 2023, 5:00 pmFinishes: 27 Sep 2023, 6:00 pmRemaining places: 83Find out about the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford.
- Starts: 5 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 5 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 14This is a one-hour online EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 11 Oct 2023, 12:00 pmFinishes: 11 Oct 2023, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 99This workshop will introduce you to the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford. This workshop will be delivered online.