Welcome to your English Language subject support page.
This page will help you find and use the best information resources for English Language and find sources to help you with your academic study skills and digital skills.
If you can’t find the information you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team at Library-SAM@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for English Language students
Whilst Library Search is your starting point when researching a topic, sometimes it’s helpful to restrict your search to one of our specialist sources.
- Linguistics Collection (ProQuest) - Index and full-text databases covering all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics.
- Literature & Language Database (ProQuest) - A collection of literature and language databases.
- MLA International Bibliography - Offers a detailed bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations. Subjects consist of literature, language and linguistics, folklore, literary theory and criticism, and dramatic arts, as well as the historical aspects of printing and publishing.
- Oxford Reference Online - A reference database which includes English and bilingual dictionaries, as well as subject dictionaries and reference books published by Oxford University Press.
- JSTOR - a great range of books and articles on all kind of topics including English Language.
- Corpus - A series of corpora available to interrogate online.
- Dictionary of Old English - Defines the vocabulary of the first six centuries (C.E. 600-1150) of the English language, using twenty-first century technology. The dictionary covers the first eight letters of the Old English alphabet.
- Dictionary of Old English Corpus - The Dictionary of Old English Corpus contains at least one copy of each text surviving in Old English.
Books and Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. All our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
LinkedIn Learning offers over 9,000 professionally produced online courses covering a wide range of technical, creative and professional skills.
Always use our institutional link to log in – you will need your University email address and password. The first time that you log in, you will be taken through a setup process to discover courses tailored to your interests.
Discover more in our video: Using LinkedIn Learning at Salford.
APA 7th Edition is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 20 Dec 2023, 4:00 pmFinishes: 20 Dec 2023, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 11This is a one-hour online EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.
- Starts: 9 Jan 2024, 12:00 pmFinishes: 9 Jan 2024, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 99This workshop will introduce you to the main IT tools, resources and services you need to get started as a student at the University of Salford. This workshop will be delivered online.
- Starts: 10 Jan 2024, 4:00 pmFinishes: 10 Jan 2024, 5:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 15This is a one-hour online EXAM SESSION for MOS certification. At the time of booking, you must have scored over 70% in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode for your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criterion will be cancelled.