International students


International students

Make the most of your time at University

Maximise your career prospects in the UK - get guidance from our Careers and Enterprise team on finding work during and after your studies. Enhance your CV with work experience and extracurricular activities. Consider these opportunities to boost your employability: 

  • Part-time work: Gain valuable work experience alongside your studies. NOTE: It is important keep your visa restrictions in mind – visit the ‘Working during your studies’ section of this page below for extra information. 
  • Volunteering: Build UK work experience and explore the working world. 
  • Student Societies and Students' Union: Boost your employability with relevant activities, positions or responsibility. 
  • Placement and Internships: Get industry experience and possibly academic recognition if the placement forms part of your course.  
  • Attend Careers Fairs: Network with employers to build contacts for future job opportunities and find out more about their organisation or industry. Our Careers Fairs are listed on our Workshops pages. 
  • Entrepreneurship: Explore self employment with our support. Get information about Innovator Founder visas, plus advice on entrepreneurial skills, pitching ideas and business plans. 
  • Language Confidence: Improve your English language skills with Academic Writing SupportWordscope and Learning English for Academic Purposes. You could also consider learning a new language with Salford Languages via the University Wide Language Programme

Ready to take charge of your future? Join our LinkedIn Learning tutorial Maximising your Time at University for more tips on making the most of your studies!

International students

Working during your studies

To work in the UK, you must have a National Insurance Number (NIN). If you're a European international student, you need to apply for it. Here's how: 

  • Apply once you have arrived in the UK. 
  • Apply online and ensure you have the required documents ready via the UK Government website
  • You may be required to take your ID to Job Centre Plus, but you will be notified of this if it’s required. 

Most international students can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and full-time during vacations. It’s important to confirm your work permission before starting any job. 

For help or enquiries, visit the National Insurance website or call 0300 200 3500 (Mon-Fri: 8am-8pm, Sat: 8am-4pm). 

Stay informed about your visa and work status with UKCISA's information and advice pages or contact the University’s Home Office Compliance Team at 0161 295 0023 (option 3, option 2) or via email: Start your UK work journey now!

International students

Working in the UK after graduation

International graduates seeking work visas in the UK should stay updated on the latest changes and visa options available to them via the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Explore key visa options on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website, including:

Visa Advice and Guidance

Our advisers are available to offer appointments to support you with the process of looking and applying for work or advice to help you become self-employed but cannot offer visa advice. For specific visa advice, the University works closely with immigration lawyer specialists, Ward Hadaway, as an information and advice source for our international students.

Access Ward Hadaway's Visa Guidelines Hub for Frequently Asked Questions on different visas or ask your own question.

This International Student Study Guide will help international students to understand the options open to you and gain the confidence to talk to potential employers about your post-study employment options.

Find out how Simran, an International Graduate from the University of Nottingham, found paid work as a Marketing Specialist with Hallam:

How to find work in the UK after graduation

As an international student, regardless of the stage you are at in your career, you can speak to our Careers and Enterprise team who offer tailored support for our international postgraduate students. We can help you with job-seeking and career planning. 

Watch the video below to hear more about our offer to you:

Our team offer support to you during and after your studies to provide advice and guidance in your search and application for employment.

To find out more, visit our Graduates and Alumni page.


Providing information to employers about hiring international Graduates

If an employer asks you for information on visas and employing an international graduate, refer to their company's HR department for advice in the first instance.

There are also various online resources employers can use to gain extra information. You could help them by directing them to the suggestions below:

Graduate Routes after studying

Find out about the Graduate Route.

Speak to a careers adviser

Get guidance from our friendly team of advisers. Book an appointment or call 0161 295 0023 (option 5, option 3). 

Open to current students and Salford Alumni only.