Get ahead in the job market by being proactive in your job search. Build a strong network that can lead to job opportunities and support. Plan carefully and take advantage of various opportunities to meet professionals and like-minded students:
Join Student Societies for social and networking events.
Attend Careers & Enterprise Fairs and Events to connect with professionals.
Utilise LinkedIn to connect with people in your desired organisations.
Join the Salford alumni group on LinkedIn to see where graduates in your field have succeeded.
Why students should be using LinkedIn a career tool (blog) - a student perspective.
Creative Job Searching
Uncover hidden job opportunities through creative job searching. Some companies hire internally or through personal contacts, and they may consider speculative approaches.
Networking effectively is key to a creative job search. Gather information, exchange ideas, and raise your professional profile. By doing so, you can make valuable connections and discover unadvertised opportunities.
- Create a killer LinkedIn profile. Connect with professionals in your desired field and learn about their career paths and company insights.
- Stay in the loop by following employers on Twitter. Get updates on their news and recruitment drives.
- Attend Careers Fairs and Employer Talks, both internally and externally. Prepare questions, bring your CV, and make valuable contacts. Keep an eye out for Salford's own careers events.
- Tap into your existing network. Friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances can open unexpected doors through casual conversations.
- Take a proactive approach by submitting tailored CVs and cover letters to companies of interest. Make a call beforehand to find the right person to address your letter to.
- Explore volunteering, work placements, and shadowing opportunities. Network from within and make valuable connections.
- Leverage your extra-curricular activities and social groups.
Speak to a careers adviser
Get guidance from our friendly Careers Advisers. Book an appointment on Advantage or call 0161 295 0023 (option 5, option 3).
Open to current students and Salford Alumni only.