Dr. Jeremy Allen
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Peel Building - Room G45
Please email to arrange an appointment.
Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science
I am currently a Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science and Academic Lead for Biomedicine at the University of Salford, School of Environment & Life Sciences. Born in Lichfield, England I studied at the University of Keele, England, in two separate periods between 1982 and 1992, completing a BSc in Biology and a PhD investigating the pathophysiology of a pathogenic parasite. In 1991 I received an MSc in Biotechnology from the University of Newcastle, England.
I joined the School of Postgraduate Medicine at the University Hospitals of North Midlands (Royal Stoke University Hospital), England as an NHS Clinical Scientist and Research Fellow from 1992-2003. I was appointed in 2003 to Lecturer in Biosciences at the University of Salford, gaining a PgCert in Higher Education Practice & Research in 2006. In 2009 I was appointed to Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Science and in 2011 was made a Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
Areas of research
- BSc Biomedical Science
- MSc Molecular Parasitology & Vector Biology
- Translational Research Skills
- Haematology & Transfusion
- Cell Pathology
I am an active member of the Biomedical Research Centre with research interests focused on investigating the cellular pathology and pathogenesis of host-pathogen interactions, inflammation and fibrosis (Fibrosis & Inflammation Research Group), primarily in collaboration with Dr Lucy Smyth, also based at Salford.
- BSc (Hons) Biology; University of Keele (1985)
- MSc Biotechnology; University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1991).
- PhD Pathophysiology; University of Keele (1992).
- PgCert Higher Education Practice & Research; University of Salford (2006).
- FIBMS Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Science (2011)
- European Respiratory Society
- American Thoracic Society
- American Physiological Society
- British Association for Lung Research
- British Society for Parasitology
- Physiological Society
- Institute of Biomedical Science
- International Society for Hepatic Sinusoidal Research