Dr Emma Gillaspy
Digital Teaching & Learning Manager
As an experienced educator at all levels, I am passionate about supporting academics and students with their professional development and career management. I’m a co-founder of #coachingHE, a qualified executive coach and facilitator of coaching skills development. As an advocate of social media, I encourage experimentation in blended learning through creative and experiential approaches. I teach across a wide range of topics including education, personal effectiveness, communication and public engagement. Before moving into the field of academic and researcher development, I worked in the NHS as a clinical molecular geneticist following graduation from my PhD studying the genetics of osteoarthritis.
Founder and chair of the Academy of Creative Educators @SalfordACE http://hub.salford.ac.uk/ace/
Co-founder of both #coachingHE and the Vitae Researcher Development Framework
Module leader: Research methods online
Facilitation includes: coaching, education, social media, researcher development, academic staff development, career management, leadership, personal effectiveness
Author of several learning packages including:
- The Engaging Researcher https://www.vitae.ac.uk/vitae-publications/vitae-library-of-resources/about-vitae-researcher-development-programmes/engaging-researcher,
- The Digital Researcher http://jiscdesignstudio.pbworks.com/w/page/48785366/Vitae%20DL and
- A Coaching Approach to Personal Tutoring.
Winner 2017 Vice Chancellor Distinguished Teaching Awards (two team awards on coaching and interprofessional simulation)
- Experiential learning
- Social media
- Academic and researcher development
- Pedagogical innovation
My research focuses on three related areas of academic development:
- I am investigating the effectiveness of formal and informal coaching as developmental interventions in HE and as a pedagogical approach.
- I am Principal Investigator for a new national project which aims to understand what is required of the contemporary academic to better support academic career development.
- I am exploring how digital technologies can be coupled with experiential learning to create innovative social learning environments which promote active rather than passive learning.
I am a Masters and Doctoral supervisor and reviewer for the Innovations in Education and Teaching International journal.
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD Genetics of Osteoarthritis
Institute of Leadership and Management Level 7 Certificate in Executive Coaching
Institute of Leadership and Management Level 5 Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Step I Practitioner
BTEC Level 5 Professional Certificate in Management Studies
Leigh, JA, Rosen, LC, Gillaspy, EE, Storey, K and Wilkinson, M (2017) Evaluation of a primary care triumvirate leadership development programme. Primary Health Care (in press).
Withnell, N. and Gillaspy, E.E. (2017) Cracking the TEF Crystal Maze – Embedding a flexible learning strategy to enhance the student experience. Presented at Higher Education Academy Conference, Manchester https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/training-events/hea-annual-conference-2017-generation-tef-teaching-spotlight
Gillaspy E (2014) ‘Online Networking’ in Daly I and Brophy Haney A (eds) 53 interesting ways to communicate your research. The Professional and Higher Partnership Ltd, Newmarket.
I supervise students in the fields of education, coaching and digital technologies.