Dr Arijit Mukhopadhyay
Reader in Human Genetics
I am practicing and teaching science, in the field of human biomedical genomics, for the last 17 years. Currently, I am an academic member of staff in the school of Environment and Life Sciences at the University of Salford, since November 2016. Previously, I have been a staff scientist at CSIR-Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology at New Delhi, India for 9 years where I have supervised several PhD students. I have 53 peer-reviewed well-cited publications (H-index 23) and also serve in the editorial board of multiple international journals.
In the initial years, I have completed my bachelors and masters in Chemistry from my native city, Kolkata, India and then did my PhD in Human Genetics also from the same city. Then I spent 3 years (2004-2007) in Nijmegen, The Netherlands as a Marie-Curie post-doctoral fellow. From 2007 I have been working as a group leader in the area of human genomics.
I teach Human Genetics and basics of genetic diagnostic and counselling to the undergraduate students at University of Salford.
I had been coordinating and teaching the ‘Genomics’ course for the PhD students at the CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology during 2009-2015. The topics included: Mendelian Genetics, Complex Disease Genetics, Genome-wide association studies, Genomics including next-generation sequencing. This course is part of the curriculum of the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (AcSIR).
I had been teaching as a guest faculty in the Genome Biology masters course of the Ambedkar Centre for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi during 2009-2015. The topics included: Population genetics of India and Complex Disease Genomics.
I routinely mentor undergraduate and postgraduate students and other summer students for their dissertation. Till date, more than 20 students have been trained in my laboratory in India.
My primary research interest is studying genome variation and dynamics in human health and disease. Some of the specific interests are:
- Genetic basis of glaucoma
- Role of non-coding RNA variations in human diseases
- Role of somatic variations in normal human brain
- Role of somatic variations in neurodegenerative diseases
Qualifications and Memberships
- Editorial board member of Nature Scientific Reports, a Nature group journal
- Member of the British Society of Genomic Medicine
- Member of the UK and Eire Glaucoma Society
- Member of the Human Genome Organization (HUGO)
- Member of the American Society of Human Genetics
- Life member of the Indian Society of Human Genetics
- Member of the Indian Eye Research Group: a chapter of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (IERG-ARVO)
- Paul D, Sinha AN, Ray A, Lal M, Nayak S, Sharma A, Mehani B, Mukherjee D, Laddha SV, Suri A, Sarkar C, Mukhopadhyay A*. A-to-I editing in human miRNAs is enriched in seed sequence, influenced by sequence contexts and significantly hypoedited in glioblastoma multiforme. Sci Rep. 2017 May 26;7(1):2466. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-02397-6. PMID: 28550310; PMCID:PMC5446428. [IF: 5.5].
- Sharma A, Ansari AH, Kumari R, Pandey R, Rehman R, Mehani B, Varma B, Desiraju BK, Mabalirajan U, Agrawal A, Mukhopadhyay A*. Human brain harbors single nucleotide somatic variations in functionally relevant genes possibly mediated by oxidative stress. F1000Res#. 2016 Oct 14;5:2520. doi:10.12688/f1000research 9495.1. PubMed PMID: 28149503; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC5265704.
- Kaurani L, Vishal M, Ray J, Sen A, Ray K, Mukhopadhyay A*. TBK1 duplication is found in Normal Tension and not in High Tension Glaucoma Patients of Indian Origin. Journal of Genetics, 2016 Jun;95(2):459-61. PubMed PMID: 27350692.
- Vishal M, Sharma A, Kaurani L, Alfano G, Mookherjee S, Narta K, Agrawal J, Bhattacharya I, Roychoudhury S, Ray J, Waseem N, Bhattacharya S, Basu A, Sen A, Ray K, Mukhopadhyay A*. Genetic association and stress mediated down-regulation in trabecular meshwork implicates MPP7 as a novel candidate gene in primary open angle glaucoma. BMC Medical Genomics. 2016 Mar 22;9(1):15. doi: 10.1186/s12920-016-0177-6. PubMed PMID: 27001270; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4802647.
- Negi V, Paul D, Das S, Bajpai P, Singh S, Mukhopadhyay A, Agrawal A, Ghosh B. Altered expression and editing of miRNA-100 regulates iTreg differentiation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Sep 18;43(16):8057-65. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkv752. Epub 2015 Jul 23. PubMed PMID: 26209130; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4652766.
- Vishal M, Sharma A, Kaurani L, Chakraborty S, Ray J, Sen A, Mukhopadhyay A*, Ray K. Evaluation of genetic association of the INK4 locus with primary open angle glaucoma in East Indian population. Sci Rep. 2014 May 30;4:5115. doi: 10.1038/srep05115. PubMed PMID: 24875940; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4038833.
- Kaurani L, Vishal M, Kumar D, Sharma A, Mehani B, Sharma C, Chakraborty S, Jha P, Ray J, Sen A, Dash D, Ray K, Mukhopadhyay A*. Gene-rich large deletions are overrepresented in POAG patients of Indian and Caucasian origins. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Apr 24;55(5):3258-64. doi: 10.1167/iovs.14-14339. PubMed PMID: 24764060; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4039367.
- Banerjee D, Banerjee A, Mookherjee S, Vishal M, Mukhopadhyay A, Sen A, Basu A, Ray K. Mitochondrial genome analysis of primary open angle glaucoma patients. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 5;8(8):e70760. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0070760. Print 2013. PubMed PMID: 23940637; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3733777.
- Sinha A, Yadav AK, Chakraborty S, Kabra SK, Lodha R, Kumar M, Kulshreshtha A, Sethi T, Pandey R, Malik G, Laddha S, Mukhopadhyay A, Dash D, Ghosh B, Agrawal A. Exosome-enclosed microRNAs in exhaled breath hold potential for biomarker discovery in patients with pulmonary diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Jul;132(1):219-22. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.03.035. Epub 2013 May 14. PubMed PMID: 23683467.
- Laddha SV, Nayak S, Paul D, Reddy R, Sharma C, Jha P, Hariharan M, Agrawal A, Chowdhury S, Sarkar C, Mukhopadhyay A*. Genome-wide analysis reveals downregulation of miR-379/miR-656 cluster in human cancers. Biol Direct. 2013 Apr 24;8:10. doi: 10.1186/1745-6150-8-10. PubMed PMID: 23618224; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3680324.
- Basu K, Sen A, Ray K, Ghosh I, Datta K, Mukhopadhyay A*. Genetic association and gene-gene interaction of HAS2, HABP1 and HYAL3 implicate hyaluronan metabolic genes in glaucomatous neurodegeneration. Dis Markers. 2012;33(3):145-54. PubMed PMID: 22960332; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3810698.
- Basu K, Mukhopadhyay A, Ghosh I, Datta K. Nuclear morphology and c-Jun N-terminal kinase 1 expression differentiate serum-starved oxidative stress signalling from hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis in retinal neuronal cell line. Cell Biol Int. 2012 Nov 1;36(11):1021-7. doi: 10.1042/CBI20110555. PubMed PMID: 22775755.
- Sadhukhan T, Vishal M, Das G, Sharma A, Mukhopadhyay A, Das SK, Ray K, Ray J. Evaluation of the role of LRRK2 gene in Parkinson's disease in an East Indian cohort. Dis Markers. 2012;32(6):355-62. doi: 10.3233/DMA-2012-0898. PubMed PMID: 22684232; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3826742.
- Gautam P, Jha P, Kumar D, Tyagi S, Varma B, Dash D, Mukhopadhyay A; Indian Genome Variation Consortium, Mukerji M. Spectrum of large copy number variations in 26 diverse Indian populations: potential involvement in phenotypic diversity. Hum Genet. 2012 Jan;131(1):131-43. doi: 10.1007/s00439-011-1050-5. Epub 2011 Jul 9. PubMed PMID: 21744140.
* indicates corresponding author. Only last 5 years publications are given here. For a full list please go to pubmed