Professor Kirk Chang
Professor of Organisational Behaviour Research Convenor of Law & People Management
Kirk Chang is Professor and Research Convenor at the Salford Business School. He is a registered HR consultant and co-founder of HC HRM Consultancy, specialising in the facilitation of organisational performance and enhancing the workplace experience for employees. His consultancy philosophy is that apart from the designated objectives (e.g. performance enhancement, profits generation), it is vital to create a better shadow between companies, employees and local communities - the concept of harmony society. He received his Ph.D. in Occupational Psychology (Manchester) and was awarded his first lectureship in 1995. He is a knowledge disseminator, learning facilitator and research practitioner in academic enterprise. His current duties involve scholarly activities, business consultancy and research development. He is a Chartered Scientist of the British Science Council (CSci), Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Member of the British of Academy of Management (BAM), Member of the International Association of Applied Psychology (IAAP), Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (FCIPD), Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) and Associate Fellow (AFBPsS) of the British Psychological Society. His research interests are in the areas of organisational behaviour and performance.
- Organisational Behaviour
- Occupational Psychology
- Quantitative Data Analysis and Method
- Research Method
Prof. Kirk Chang examines theoretically important and policy relevant issues both in organisational behaviour and dynamics (OB/OD). OB studies the impact that individuals, groups and structures have on behaviour within an organisation, whereas OD investigates the organisational characteristics and their influence on organisations. Major OB/OD research themes include: organisational culture, membership stability and citizenship behaviour. Studying OB/OD helps business owners, team leaders, group managers and HR practitioners to better understand: i). how employees work individually and collectively in the organisation; ii). how HR policies and regulations affect organisational dynamics; and, iii). how information develops and impacts behaviour. Prof. Chang's research projects have theoretical implications for academic knowledge and contribute to the evolution of OB/OD theories. Business owners, organisational leaders, HR policy makers, and general employers seeking to maximise their organisations performance may also benefit from OB/OD research projects. Commercial consultancy projects and KTP (knowledge transfer partnerships) proposals are welcome. Please contact Prof. Chang with proposals that explore OB/OD or relevant themes.
I am currently supervising doctoral students on the following topics:
leadership development, employee development and management after maternity leave, corporate social responsibility and its practice, employee performance management, employee engagement and organisational performance in hospitality.
I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in:
the general area of employee behaviour, including: ostracism, cynicism, identification, psychological contract, counter-productive behaviour, gossip effect and other behaviour in the workplace.
Qualifications and Memberships
- PGCE. Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. University of Lancaster, UK.
- Ph.D. in Occupational Psychology. University of Manchester, UK.
- Certificate in Professional Research Skills. The Victoria University of Manchester, UK.
- Certificate in Business English. Oxford Brookes University, UK.
- Certificate in Graduate Demonstrator Curriculum. University of Manchester, UK.
- Certificate in Research & Career Management. The Victoria University of Manchester, UK.
- Certificate in Occupational Testing. Level B. Int. The British Psychological Society, UK
- Certificate in Occupational Testing. Level A. The British Psychological Society, UK.
- M.Sc. in Occupational Psychology. University of London, UK.
- B.Sc. in Medical Sociology, Psychology. Kaohsiung Medical University, TAIWAN.
Professional Chartership, Fellowship and Membership
- Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register. Registered Consultant (OSHCR)
- The British Academy of Management. Member (ID: 21827)
- The Higher Education Academy. Fellow (FHEA; Ref: 38007)
- The British Psychological Society. Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol; Ref. 108837)
- The British Psychological Society. Associate Fellow (AFBPsS; Ref. 108837)
- The British Science Council. Chartered Scientist (CSci; Ref. BPS/118/108837)
- UK University and College Union. Formal Membership (2006-2010).
- The British Council Taipei. Graduate Membership.
- International Association of Applied Psychology. Member (Ref. 1573210).
- Taiwanese Psychological Association. Formal Membership.
- The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. Academic Fellow (FCIPD)
For further information about my publications please see my SEEK Research Profile: https://www.seek.salford.ac.uk/profiles/KChang.jsp