Dr Samuel Hayes
Research Fellow in Urban Ecology
I have worked on environmental planning and assessment in consultancy and academia since 2008, including on Environmental Impact Assessment, Strategic Environmental Assessment and Sustainability Assessment. I completed my PhD thesis at the University of Manchester, entitled ‘Strategic Assessment in England and Scotland: analysing the contribution to sustainability’.
I have published on dialogue between assessment and planning, the rationale for strategic assessment, the use of strategic assessment for understanding and tackling issues of flood risk amongst other aspects of environment planning.
More recently I have been pursuing research around green spaces, green infrastructure and health and wellbeing. In association with the Environmental Assessment & Management Centre (University of Liverpool) and the World Health Organization I have been developing the ImpactsHub to support practitioners to learn and share materials on health and environmental assessment.
I am also one of the book review editors for the journal Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. Contact me via email if you have a title which you think our readership would be interested in or if you would like to review a specific title.
You can read a little more about some of my interests on my WordPress site (https://environmentalistblog.wordpress.com/).
My research interests are around Urban Ecology, urban green spaces and green infrastructure, environmental planning, health and wellbeing and sustainable development. Currently I'm working on projects which attempt to promote sustainable development through urban greening as a multifunctional approach to dealing with urban and environmental challenges. Ultimately, I'm interested in how we can put sustainable development principles into action. View my ORCID profile here: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6409-2261.
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD. Planning and Environmental Management (University of Manchester)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of International Association for Impact Assessment
- HAYES, S.J. (2019). ‘It’s good to talk: dialogue and the relationship between strategic environmental assessment and plan making’, Town Planning Review, 90.1. doi:10.3828/tpr.2019.5
- FISCHER, T.B., JHA-THAKUR, U., FAWCETT, P., CLEMENT, S., HAYES, S. & NOWACKI, J. (2018). 'Consideration of urban green space in impact assessments for health', Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal, Vol. 36(1), p.32-44. doi:10.1080/14615517.2017.1364021
- FISCHER, T.B., HAYES, S., HUNG FUNG S. & NOWACKI, J. (2018) ‘Environment and health impact assessment – developing an online knowledge sharing platform and network’, 26 pages; Retrieved from http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/357489/Workshop-EHIA-Wiki-rep-eng.pdf?ua=1
- HAYES, S.J., JONES, C.E. & BARKER, A. (2017). ‘Re-Examining the Rationale for Strategic Assessment: An Evaluation of Purpose in Two Systems, Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, Vol. 19(4)
- FISCHER, T.B., JHA-THAKUR, U., & HAYES, S. (2015). ‘Environmental Impact Assessment and Strategic Environmental Assessment Research in the UK’. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 17(01), 1550016. doi:10.1142/S1464333215500167
- HAYES, S. (2015). ‘Negotiating Sustainability with Sustainability Assessment’. In, J. CONDIE, & A. M. COOPER (Eds.), Dialogues of Sustainable Urbanisation: social science research and transitions to urban contexts (pp. 28-31). Penrith, N.S.W.: University of Western Sydney. Retrieved from http://handle.uws.edu.au:8081/1959.7/uws:30908
- HAYES, S. & FISCHER, T.B. (2015). ‘Setting and measuring objectives in sustainability assessment’. In, MORRISON-SAUNDERS, A., POPE, J. & BOND, A. (Eds.), Handbook of Sustainability Assessment (pp. 265-284). doi:10.4337/9781783471379.00020
- HAYES, S., BARKER, A., & JONES, C.E. (2014). ‘Flood Management Consideration in Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment in England and Scotland’. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, 16(03), 1450025. doi:10.1142/S1464333214500252
- WEBB, B., & HAYES, S. (2014). Practical Guide for Green Development. Manchester: University of Manchester. Retrieved from http://www.seed.manchester.ac.uk/