Dr. Sura Al-Maiyah
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Senior Lecturer in Urban Technology
Dr Sura Al-Maiyah has joined the University of Salford as a lecturer in urban technology at the School of the Built Environment in March 2016. Prior to her current position at Salford, Sura led the Masters Course in Sustainable Architecture at the School of Architecture, University of Portsmouth, worked in the research-based practice Short and Associates Architects in London, and held a Research Associate position at the School of Built Environment, Ulster University.
Areas of research
Building Energy Performance, Sustainable Design, Building Occupants' Health, Digital Urban Modelling and Simulation
Areas of supervision
Daylighting and Visual Comfort, Thermal comfort and Building Performance, Architecture, Well-being, and Healthy Ageing
- Design Studio 3 (Arch L6) and L6 tutor
- Recreating the City (Arch L6)
- Discipline Project 2 (ADT L5)
- Design Studio 2b: Performance Modelling & Integrated Design (Arch L5)
- UG Design Research Project Supervision
- PG MSc Dissertations
- PGR Supervising
Sura’s research interest is in daylighting design, visual and thermal performance of buildings, sustainable development of heritage sites, and post occupancy evaluation. She has extensive experience in daylighting simulation modelling and assessing the visual performance of historic buildings and settlements and sense of comfort dating back to my doctoral research at Ulster University. She is the author of several journal papers and has presented several papers at seminars, workshops, and international refereed conferences. Sura is a member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), the Society of Light and Lighting (SLL), the International Council on Monuments & Sites UK (ICOMOS), and a reviewer for the Council for Assisting Refugee Academics (CARA), the UK programme, the CIBSE Technical Symposium and a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- PhD, University of Ulster, Thesis title: Daylighting and Sustainability of Place in Cultural Built Heritage Contexts,
- Lighting Diploma, The Society of Light & Lighting (SLL), the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), London,
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of Portsmouth,
- Postgraduate Certificate, Kent Institute of Art and Design (KIAD), University of Kent at Canterbury,
- MSc in Technology of Architecture, University of Technology, Baghdad
- BSc in Arch, University of Technology, Baghdad
- Establishing Member of the ICOMOS-UK Digital Technology Committee (2014- Present)
- Follow of the Higher Education Academy (2011-Present).
- Grant Application Referee for the Council for Assisting Refugee Academics (CARA), Iraq Fellowship Programme, London South Bank University (2010 -Present).
- Member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) (2005-Present).
- Member of the Society of Light and Lighting (SLL) (2005-Present).