School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Social Work ( Practice Learning)
My practice career was as a probation officer with over 20 years’ experience. I made the transition to HEI in 2006 and have a focus in Practice Education.
Areas of research
Practice Education, Retention of Social Workers
My teaching reflects my social work practice experience and research interests. I module lead in practice learning across BA and MA programmes, developing and sustaining practice learning opportunities and being responsible for quality assurance processes. I deliver teaching to prepare students for professional practice.
I teach qualified social workers on the Practice Educator for Professional Standards For Social Work course.
I am an off-site practice educator.
- Practice Education
- Professional Practice
- Student Experience
- Quality Assurance Processes
- Community Engagement
- Practice education
- The role of non traditional placements in providing quality placements - including direct engagement with young people (aged 16 to 26) on their perception of being supported by student social workers
- The role of the criminal justice system in social work
- Collaboration with the student body
- Mental health practice education services
- Salford CYP Heif project - Collaborating with young people to develop the CYP@Salford strategy for inclusion and participation in education and research activity. Direct engagement with young people (aged 13 to 16)
- Recent activity: Promoting diversity and inclusiveness in dementia services in Salford. The experience of black students in practice education. HEIF Community Engagement project. Developing student recording skills in electronic systems.
- University of Salford PostGraduate Certificate in Higher Education and Research (2009)
- University of Salford Practice Teachers Award (2007)
- Sheffield University Post Graduate Certificate Women's Studies (1990)
- Sheffield Hallam University BA (Hons) Applied Social Studies with CQSW (1984)
- I am a registered social worker with the HCPC (registration number: SW81506) and a HCPC
- CPD assessor
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (2013)