School of Health and Society
Senior Lecturer Midwifery
After qualifying as a midwife in 1982 I worked as a hospital midwife in Sheffield and later as a community midwife in the Peak District, attending women at home and in the freestanding birth centre at Buxton. My clinical practice has been largely community based and I have practised independently.
My academic interests include all aspects of midwifery, with a particular focus on midwifery expertise, evidence and politics related to normal childbearing. I run a module on Normal Childbirth which is designed for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. I have a special interest in communication skills, with certificates in Person Centred Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
I teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and have taught and supervised postgraduate students since 1999. I am the Programme Leader for the MSc Midwifery. My clinical link is with North Manchester General Hospital Maternity Unit, where I meet regularly with mentors, conduct audits and facilitate multidisciplinary normal birth workshops. I am active in the maternity services locally and nationally, as well as campaigning for autonomous midwifery and women’s birth rights internationally.
Areas of research
Midwifery, Midwifery Students, Safety, Traumatic Stress, Midwifery Culture
My M.Phil. research (1999) was a grounded theory, longitudinal study on the professional socialisation of student midwives. Since 2005 my research interests have included postnatal mental health, reconfiguration of maternity services, normal childbirth and the professional regulation of midwives.
- 2005 Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, University of Manchester
- 2000 Certificate in Counselling (Distinction), University of Salford
- 1999 M.Phil., Institute of Health Research, University of Salford (Title: ‘Nice, normal midwifery…? A longitudinal grounded theory study of the socialisation of student midwives’.)
- 1989 Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Distinction), Wolverhampton Polytechnic
- 1989 Midwife Teacher Diploma/PGCE
- 1987 Advanced Diploma in Midwifery (University of Manchester)
- 1982 Registered Midwife, Crumpsall Hospital, North Manchester
- 1979 BA (Hons) English Literature with French (2:1); University Of Sussex
- Trustee, Changing Childbirth India (professional midwifery education and training project, Hyderabad)
- International Congress of Midwives Research Advisory network
- Keep Our NHS Public
- Association of Radical Midwives
- Association for Improvements in Maternity Services
- University panel of experts - issues related to midwifery/birth (media liaison)
- Albany Midwifery Practice Action Group
- Albany Model Advisory Group