Dr. Sara Biscaya
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Lecturer in Architecture
I am a qualified architect with practical experience since 2001. I was head team architect at BG Arquitectos in Lisbon, Portugal where my responsibilities comprised the development of both National and International design projects of housing complexes and apartment buildings, homes for the elderly, Health Centres, kinder gardens, Navy buildings, CGD Bank Buildings, Sonangol laboratories in Luanda, restoration and housing refurbishments, and Detailed Urban Planning, from inception to demise.
In parallel I founded my own office in Lisbon where I also developed design projects of housing complexes and apartment buildings, homes for the elderly, kinder gardens, restoration and housing refurbishments, and Detailed Urban Planning, from inception to demise working directly with Municipal Authorities in project development and approval.
Since 2009 I have been project consultant for several design and construction companies in Portugal providing business managers and owners with solutions regarding building design and cost effective solutions for all types of Projects, oversee of Construction Projects and on-site construction, development of work plans, cost and time construction compliances and verification of project conformity with codes and regulations enforced by government agencies.
I have also been engaged with different offices in Portugal in projects development and consultancy throughout the years.
While working directly in the construction industry and within different stakeholders and expertise teams I recognized an issue with information representation, communication and overall management. This issue and others that arise from it were not only identified in Portugal but also while working with international teams in different projects in different parts of the Globe. This was the point where I decided to pursue my studies further and engaged in a PhD endeavor focused on information management systems for the construction industry with its main emphasis on the Portuguese construction scenario.
I have been a Lecturer in the BSc Architectural Technology and the BSc Interior Design courses at the University of Northampton, U.K., where I was responsible for Studio teaching in Architectural Technology (AT) and Project Design (Interiors), designing and developing teaching materials and deliver across a range of modules- Project Design, Professional Practice, Materials and Structures, Surveying – across Levels 4, 5 and 6. My role also involved the supervision of student’s projects and assessment and contribution to the planning, design and developing of both courses curriculum objectives and materials.
In May 2014 I joined the University of Salford as a Lecturer in the BSc Architecture course responsible for Studio teaching and course development. I also lecture in the BSc Architectural Design Technology course in Technology 1, Technology 2 and Multidisciplinary projects Modules. I am engaged with the MSc in BIM theory and Practice and supervise MSc students in Construction and Property Management.
Architecture is the main drive of all my professional activity and also my passion alongside with research, which has become an increasingly strong presence in all my endeavours.
- BSc Architecture course Modules
- BSc Architectural Technology Modules.
- Supervision of MSc. Student’s dissertations in Construction.
- Guest Lecture MSc. BIM & Integrated Design, BIM Theory and Practice
- Classification Information Systems
- Standards and Protocols for representing, exchange and manage information within the construction industry
- BIM, Building Information Modeling
- Collaborative work
- Theory and Practice in Studio Teaching
- PhD in Construction & Property Management, University of Salford, UK
- BSc Honors in Architecture - Lusíada University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Educational Training for Trainers (Training certified by IEFP )
- European Educational Training Certification (CCP).
- ArchiCAD v.6 Course
- ArchiCAD proficiency and certificate by the OA (Ordem dos Arquitectos-Portuguese Architects Order)
- Training of youth workers and leaders- ACM/YMCA-
- ACM/YMCA certificate
- Member of the Portuguese OA (Ordem dos Arquitectos) number 11166