Dr. Samantha Newbery
School of Arts and Media
Programme Leader, MA Terrorism and Security (Distance Learning)
I joined the University of Salford as Lecturer in Contemporary Intelligence Studies in January 2010, shortly after submitting my PhD at Trinity College Dublin. During my time at Salford I have worked as School Exchange (study abroad) Officer, Admissions Tutor for History, School Lead for the Middle East, Programme Developer and Programme Leader for the BA (Hons) International Politics and Security and Programme Leader for all four MA programmes in intelligence studies and terrorism studies. I am currently School Lead for International Recruitment, Chair of Research Ethics for the School of Arts and Media, and Programme Leader for the MA/PGDip Terrorism and Security (Distance Learning).
Areas of research
Intelligence, Terrorism, Counter-Insurgency, Policy, Area Studies
I teach across modules from first year undergraduate to Masters level, on all of the Politics and Contemporary History Subject Group’s programmes. My teaching covers intelligence studies, terrorism studies, security and counter-insurgency.
My research addresses the ethical issues raised by intelligence practices used in counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency contexts, and therefore the dilemmas faced by security practitioners and policymakers.
- 2010, PhD History, Trinity College Dublin.
- 2004, MScEcon Intelligence Studies with Research Training, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Distinction.
- 2003, BScEcon International Politics and Strategic Studies, University of Wales, Aberystwyth, 1st class honours.
- 2011, PGCert Higher Education Practice and Research, University of Salford.
- European Consortium for Political Research, including specialist groups on Human Rights and Transitional Justice, and Political Violence;
- Oxford Intelligence Group;
- Political Studies Association, including specialist groups in Security and Intelligence, and Irish Politics;
- Society for Evidence Based Policing Study Group on Intelligence;
- University of Salford Criminal Justice Hub;
- Women in Defence (UK);
- Women’s Security Society.