School of Health and Society
Karen has experience working in community settings and holds Millennium Fellowship Awards for services to the community in health and education. Karen graduated from the BSc Social Policy programme at Salford and MEd in Professional Practice in Higher Education. Her research with colleagues includes carers and the barriers to employment, plus an evaluation of the Bare Essentials Project which examines fuel, food and housing.
- Programme Leader for BSc Social Policy
- Teaching on Health Wellbeing and Social Policy, Introduction to Social Policy, Health & Social Care Policies, Disability Studies; Critical Perspectives, Housing Policy & Society
- social care
- social security - cash transfers
- Carers and Employment
Integrated Commissioning Board for Health & Wellbeing, £10,000.00. Principal Investigator: S Shaw (50%) Co-Investigator: K Kinghorn (50%).
- Evaluation of impact of the bare essentials project
Bond Board, £3,000.00. Principal Investigator: M Ravey (50%). Co-Investigators: K Kinghorn (25%), H Scholar (25%).
- 2005: BSc Social Policy (University of Salford)
- 2013: Fellow – PR057116 Higher Education Academy
- 2013: Master of Education Professional Practice in Higher Education (University of Central Lancashire)
- Social Policy Association