Dr. Jonathan D Owens
Salford Business School
Programme Director for Business and Management
Dr Jonathan D Owens is a proud Welshman and a registered Chartered Engineer with the UK Engineering Council. I left school at sixteen to serve a four year accredited Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship with British Steel® Plc. I won a scholarship to read Engineering at the University of Salford.
Post-graduation I was employed as a Research Engineer for a world-class manufacturer, in the electronics manufacturing services sector. My role involved developing Quality Modelling Systems for Surface Mount and Through Hole Technologies that focussed on process optimisation and new product introduction. I have held numerous DTi and Innovate UK grants using my expertise in lean manufacturing, service operations and new product development /introduction.
With over thirty years’ work experience and fifteen of those in academia; I have gained extensive experience of teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels on numerous degree programmes where the Operations Management discipline is involved. I have also taught and held numerous visiting posts in Europe, Asia and the US. I currently lecture, consult and research within the Operations Management discipline at Salford Business School.
Areas of research
New Product Development/Introduction, Lean Operations, Enterprise Resource Planning
- Management of Business Operations
- Operations and Information Management
- Global Supply Chain Management
- New Product Development/Introduction
- Lean Operations
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Operations Management
I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in the general areas of:
- New Product Development/Introduction processes & techniques
- Lean Operations in Service and/or Manufacturing.
- PhD in Operations Management.
- MPhil in Engineering Management.
- MEng in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Management
- BEng (Hons) in Manufacturing Management.
- PGCE in Higher Education.
- Chartered Engineer - CEng
- Registered Professional European Engineer - Eur Ing
- Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers – FIMechE
- Chartered Fellow of the Institute Logistics and Transport - FCILT
- Fellow of the Institute of Operations Management – FIOM
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy – FHEA