School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Senior Lecturer (Interactive Media and Social Technologies)
After studying Linguistics and Phonetics at the University of Manchester and working as an interactive media designer, I joined the University of Salford in 1998 as a researcher in Acoustics and Audio Engineering developing multimedia simulations and computer-aided learning packages. I then moved into pedagogical and HCI research, which led to large-scale evaluations of E-Learning initiatives both within the university and for external clients. I have since led and participated in numerous research projects involving education and digital media (EPSRC, JISC, BBC, FP7, EU Socrates-Minerva and LLL) in capacities ranging from researcher to academic director.
My expertise lies in curriculum innovation and the development of new pedagogies through social and participatory media, particularly with respect to creativity and interdisciplinarity. I deliver a range of modules in CSE all of which are based on emerging technologies, digital identities and digital literacies – with a particular emphasis on acoustic and audio industries. My research focuses on digital cultures and identities, online communities, social technologies and the interplay between formal and informal learning. I deliver regular guest lectures, seminars and keynotes on digital cultures and educational innovation, both in the UK and overseas. As a multi-disciplinary practitioner, I work across media arts and the sciences, developing partnerships and creative approaches to learning and collaboration. I’m an executive board member of the Digital Cluster – a centre of excellence which combines and leads on high quality research, enterprise and teaching in the areas of informatics, digital media,
- Keynote (title tbc) 3rd MINA International Mobile Creativity and Mobile Innovation Symposium and Screening. Auckland, New Zealand, 20-22 Nov 2013.
- Open Lecture in Learning and Teaching (title tbc), University of Greenwich, 9th Oct 2013
- Keynote (title tbc) eAssessment Scotland, 23 Aug 2013
- Keynote (title tbc) The PLE Conference 2013 - Personal Learning Environments: Learning and Diversity in the Cities of the Future. Berlin/Melbourne. 10-12 July 2013.
- Keynote Open: Social: Mobile: Connected. Teaching and Learning Summer School. University of Salford, UK. 1-5 July 2013
- Invited Speaker Authentic Experiences, Risky Pedagogies? EdMedia World Conference on Educational Media and Technology. Victoria, BC, Canada, 24-28 June 2013
- Seminar Social Media for Employability and Engagement. University of South Wales, 9 May 2013
- Invited Speaker Collaborative filmmaking on mobile phones. Changing the Learning Landscape – Power in your pocket: the creative use of mobile technologies to enhance learning and teaching in the performing and visual arts, HEA Event hosted by the University of Salford. 26 April 2013.
I coordinate/deliver a range of modules which focus on emerging technologies and transdisciplinarity within CSE, at undergraduate and postgraduate level, including:
- Research in Emerging Technologies (MSc PSVT and MSc Audio Production)
- Social Media (MSc PSVT and MSc Audio Production)
- New Media, Metadata and Mining (MSc Media Management)
- Advanced Multimedia (BSc Level 3 Professional Sound and Video Technology)
- Social Technologies (BSc Level 2 Professional Sound and Video Technology)
I also give the occasional guest lecture to MSc students on the following modules:
- MSc Media Psychology
- Research Methods (MSc PSVT and MSc Audio Production)
- Defining the Digital (MA Social Media - MMP)
- Business Applications of Emerging Technologies (MSc Information Systems - SBS)
In 2008 I received FHEA recognition (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy). In July 2011 I was awarded the Vice Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award in recognition of "distinguished achievement in teaching and support of student learning at the University of Salford”.
In July 2012 I was awarded/became a UK National Teaching Fellow (Higher Education Academy).
I am a member of the Information Systems, Organisation and Society Research Centre which is part of the Informatics Research Institute (IRIS). IRIS was rated 6*(A) as a result of the 2001 RAE making it one of the leading IS research groups in the UK. My research focuses on Technology, Society and Organisations, specifically within Higher Education and the AV industries. My research interests include:
- Mobile creativity and new paradigms for production using mobile devices
- Digital Identity, Online Presence, Social Networking
- Virtual communities, virtual ethnography
- Learning technologies and social software in education
- Virtual mobility and online communities of practice (specifically with regards to intercultural communication and online collaboration)
- Advisory Board Member of the New Media Consortium's 2012 Horizon Report for Higher Education
- Advisory Board Member of the New Media Consortium's Horizon Project (UK, 2011)
- Judge for the European Medea Awards 2011
- Judge for the European Medea Awards 2010
- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Virtual and Personal Learning Environments (2010-2012)
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for 'Digital Identity and Social Media', (Eds. Warburton, S. & Hatzipanagos, S.), IGI Global - publication due 2011
- Book proposal reviewer for Routledge Publishing - 2010
- Member of the International Advisory Board for INTED2010 (International Technology, Education and Development Conference)
- Review Board Member: British Journal of Educational Technology
- Review Board Member: Interactive Learning Environments
- Review Board Member: Journal of the Association of Learning Technology
- Programme Committee Member for ALT-C 2009
- Programme Committee Member for ALT-C 2010
- Programme Committee Member for ALT-C 2011
- Academic Committee Member for The PLE Conference, July 2010
- Reviewer for ALT-J Learning and Teaching in Immersive Virtual Worlds Special Issue 2009
- Reviewer for European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) 2009
- Reviewer for International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2009