Professor Haifa Takruri-Rizk
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Newton Building Room 210
Please email for an appointment.
Professor, Associate Head Engagement
I am an experienced academic leader, a professor with a creditable multidisciplinary research portfolio: over 20 years of lecturing and research experience in electronics, mobile networking and wireless sensor networks; over 10 years of internationally recognised research profile investigating the organisational cultures and workplace practices in science, engineering, and technology (SET) higher education and industry; 20 years as a role model leading national initiatives to encourage girls to study SET subjects to address the under-representation of women in SET.
Through my research and initiatives to address the participation of women and ethnic minorities in SET, I work with well established national and local organisations such as the BBC, Opportunity Now, Royal Academy of Engineering, Skillset, Equal Opportunities Commission, Women’s Engineering Society, UK Resource Centre for Women in SET, Science, Engineering, Manufacturing and Technologies Alliance (SEMTA) and many others. My work in this area also attracted Government support and interest where a number of MPs and Ministers contributed to conferences and events I organised. I am also regularly invited by MPs and Ministers to contribute to policy making meetings and events.
I am also a recognised advocate for equality and diversity at the University. For a number of years, I served as a member of the University’s Equality and Diversity Committee and acted as Equality and Diversity Officer for the School of Computing, Science and Engineering.
I have well established EU and Middle East partnerships leading EU funded projects proposal in both my technical and gender research topics and enhancing learning and teaching in developing countries.
- In June 2009 I was awarded MBE for services to Women, Black and Minority Ethnic people in Science, Engineering and Technology Education.
- In November 2009 I was elected as the academic representative member of University Council in recognition of my long standing work and contribution to the University.
In March 2010 I was awarded the Ministry of Defence sponsored Muslim News award for excellence in science, engineering and technology.
Areas of research
Sensor Networks, Energy Saving, Mobile Networks, Body Senor Networks
Current UG PG Teaching focuses on
Wireless and Mobile Communications,
Previous Teaching included:
Data Communications, Introduction to Digital Technology, Measurement and Instrumentation, Network Theory, Interfacing, Programmable Logic controllers, Process Control, Microprocessors, Analogue Electronics, Digital Electronics, Electronic and Electrical Principles, CAD/ECAD and Group project Design.
Teaching Related External Work
- External Examiner at Sheffield Hallam University for Electronics Systems Programme, April 2007 – Dec 2012.
- External Reviewer at Liverpool John Moore University for their suite of undergraduate computing programmes, April 2008.
- External Expert on a validation panel at Coventry University September 2004 for a BSc (Hons) in Mobile Computing.
Women on SET
Leading internationally recognised research portfolio investigating the organisational cultures and workplace practices in SET higher education and industry. The research aims to address the under-representation of women and minorities in SET studies and careers.
Focuses on integrating networking technologies and instrumentation, in particular wireless sensor networks and their applications in intelligent buildings, networked appliances, precision agriculture and energy saving.
Research related external workMember of Steering Committee for the Women in Science AHRC funded project, April 2013 -
- Partner in the FP7 project, Digital Environment Home Energy Management System, June 08 – Dec 2010. This is a European Partnership funded by the EU.
- Guest Editor for a special issue of the Equality, diversity and Inclusion International Journal, Inclusion in Higher Education.
- Convenor of the Inclusion in Higher Education stream at the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) conference , Vienna, July 2010
- External examiner for PhD students
- Member of the technical program committee for ICC SAC (ICC Symposium on Selected Areas in Communications).
- Peer reviewer for the International Journal for Women in SET and the International Journal on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Peer Reviewer for ESRC for research proposals and end of award report. This is gender in SET related research
- Peer reviewed papers for the IEEE Communications Magazine
- Refereed conference papers for many conference including the London Communications Symposium, IEEE CCNC,
- Refereed conference papers for the IEEE CCNC 2005 conference.
- Chairperson for many national/international conference sessions.
1990, PhD "The Use of a Magnetic Bridge for the Measurement of Fluid Flow", UMIST
1987, MSc by research "Testing Transducers for Gas Flow Measurement", UMIST
1984, BSc Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Birzeit University
Fellow, Higher Education Academy