Dr. Chris Doran
Salford Business School
Maxwell Building Room 334
Please email for an appointment.
Head of Subject for Strategy and People Management
I joined the University of Salford in 2009 principally as a Lecturer in Human Resource Management. However, I specialise in the area of Business Ethics. Before my appointment I spent over five years as a HR practitioner and coordinator, covering several management and leadership roles. Recruitment and Selection and Training and Development were the main areas in which I was responsible.
I currently deliver a wide range of HR modules as well as Business Ethics modules to both undergraduate and postgraduate students. I completed my PhD in a study of the application and development of ethical codes of conduct in small and medium sized organisations. I am the chair for the college ethical approval panel for taught courses. My current role is the Undergraduate Director for International Strategy, People Management and Salford Law.
I am the module leader for the 3rd year Business Ethics module on the undergraduate Business and Management Studies course. I also teach HRM to 3rd year undergraduate students. In the past few years I have delivered multiple CIPD modules including Resource and Talent Management as well as Learning and Development. Chris teaches elements of other HR modules to students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. I also supervise 15 students a year who are completing their dissertations at masters level as well as PhD students.
- Main research areas are as follows:
- Ethical Codes of Conduct in Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
- Teaching Methodologies, Strategies and Curriculum Design in the Delivery of Undergraduate and Post-Graduate Business Ethics Courses in the United States and the U.K.
- The Impact of Business Ethics on Organisational Development and Performance.
- Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability of Businesses and Universities.
- The use of vignettes as a methodological tool in business ethics areas.
- I am currently supervising doctoral students on the following topics:
- Sustainability in Education, Sustainable Tourism and Knowledge Management
- I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in the general areas of:
- Business Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability. I am also happy to supervise various HRM topics including, Sustainable HRM, Green HRM and Talent Management
- BA (Hons) at Lancaster University and the University of Illinois at Champaign. 2002
- MA at Manchester University 2003
- PG Cert In Higher Education 2008
- PhD, 2014.
- Fellow of the Academy of Higher Education, 2014