Dr. Annie Wood
School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Social Work
Annie has been employed as a Lecturer in Social Work since November 2017. Prior to that, Annie worked in Salford Children’s Services for fourteen years. Her professional background is in child protection and court work, Looked After children and fostering and adoption, gaining a senior practitioner role in 2008. Annie worked on the Emergency Duty Team providing out-of-hours duty cover across adult, children’s and mental health services. Annie undertook independent safeguarding investigations into allegations against professionals and was a member of the major incident team for Salford City Council, supporting members of the public in the aftermath of major/critical incidents. Prior to qualifying as a social worker, Annie worked in the fields of mental health, homelessness, older people’s care, drugs and alcohol, supported housing and as a volunteer counsellor for ChildLine North West.
Annie teaches on a range of modules across the pre and post-qualifying social work programmes. She is the module leader for the following modules:
- Understanding Social Work Research (MA)
- Research in Practice (MA)
- Children and Families: Theory, Research and Legislation (Step Up to Social Work)
Annie is also the skills coordinator and simulation lead for the MA programme. Annie is one of the two designated safeguarding officers for the social work department. Annie also undertakes Fitness to Practise investigations.
- Domestic abuse
- Sexual violence
- Gender and trauma
Annie undertook ethnographic research into domestic abuse in Salford, interviewing women survivors of violence and abuse and locating their experiences within a wider cultural context. Annie was part of a research team evaluating a domestic abuse education programme in high schools in Salford. Annie supervise PhD students on a range of social work-related topics.
- 1996: BA (Hons) – Canterbury Christ Church College/Kent University
- 2002: Certificate in Counselling Skills – North Trafford College
- 2003: Diploma/MA in Social Work – Manchester University
- 2004: Diploma in Criminology – Rusland College
- 2009: Post-qualifying Childcare Award – Salford University
- 2010: MSc in Childcare and Family Practice – Salford University
- 2016: Professional Doctorate – Salford University
- 2019: Post-graduate Certificate in Academic Practice – Salford University
- HCPC registered social worker – SW18763
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy – PR168486