Dr. Annie Wood
School of Health and Society
Allerton Building, Room C604.
Please email for an appointment.
Lecturer in Social Work; Programme Leader - MA in Social Work; Admissions Lead - MA in Social Work
Annie has been employed as a Lecturer in Social Work since November 2017. Prior to that, Annie worked for Salford Children’s Services for fourteen years. Her professional background is in child protection and court work, Looked After children and fostering and adoption, gaining a senior practitioner role in 2008. Annie worked on the Emergency Duty Team providing out-of-hours duty cover across adult, children’s and mental health services. Annie undertook independent safeguarding investigations into allegations against professionals and was a member of the major incident team for Salford City Council, supporting members of the public in the aftermath of major/critical incidents. Prior to qualifying as a social worker, Annie worked in the fields of mental health, homelessness, older people’s care, drugs and alcohol, supported housing and as a volunteer counsellor for ChildLine North West.
Areas of research
Domestic abuse, Sexual violence, Gender and trauma
Annie teaches on a range of modules across the pre and post-qualifying social work programmes.
- Module leader for Skills for Social Work Practice (MA)
- Simulation lead for the MA programme.
- Undertakes Fitness to Practise investigations.
- Annie is a White Ribbon champion for the university.
- Annie undertook ethnographic research into domestic abuse in Salford, interviewing women survivors of physical and sexual violence, emotional and financial abuse and coercive control, locating their experiences within a wider cultural context.
- Annie was part of a research team evaluating a domestic abuse education programme in high schools in Salford.
- Annie supervises PhD students on a range of social work-related topics.
- 1996: BA (Hons) – Canterbury Christ Church College/Kent University
- 2002: Certificate in Counselling Skills – North Trafford College
- 2003: Diploma/MA in Social Work – Manchester University
- 2004: Diploma in Criminology – Rusland College
- 2009: Post-qualifying Childcare Award – Salford University
- 2010: MSc in Childcare and Family Practice – Salford University
- 2016: Professional Doctorate – Salford University
- 2019: Post-graduate Certificate in Academic Practice – Salford University
- HCPC registered social worker – SW18763
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy – PR168486