Dr. Andrew Richardson
School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Peel Building, Room G30.
Please email to arrange an appointment.
Teaching Fellow in Marine Biology
I am a marine ecologist, obtaining a BSc in Coastal Marine Biology at the University of Hull. I subsequently obtained my PhD (also from the University of Hull) over the period 2009-2015, investigating the infaunal communities of intertidal patches of the blue mussel Mytilus edulis in the UK and South Atlantic. Concurrently, I worked on a project investigating habitat, fisheries, aquaculture and post-release behaviour of Nephrops norvegicus in northwest Europe. I also conducted intertidal research around South Georgia, Signy and the Falklands in 2013, with support from the Antarctic Funding Initiative and British Antarctic Survey.
Between 2014 and 2019 I was employed as Senior Marine Scientist (and later Chief Scientist) for the Ascension Island Government in the South Atlantic. This role included research on nearshore marine systems, tropical seamount communities, seabird ecology, offshore ecosystems and ecology of large pelagics such as shark, billfish and tuna. During this period I also served as Director of Fisheries, managing and licencing the offshore tuna fishery, together with overseeing patrol, enforcement and surveillance operations. Research produced in these roles was pivotal in the evidence case for the Ascension Island Marine Protected Area (an area of 445,000 km2, designated in 2019).
I worked as an Intelligence Analyst until 2022, employing satellite tools and technology solutions to improve ethical seafood supply chains, and providing actionable intelligence to authorities to combat Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing around the world.
I am currently module leader for Marine Management and Marine Biology/Zoology Research Skills. I contribute to a series of modules, including Biological Principles, Introduction to Marine Biology, and Ocean Challenges.
- Marine conservation in the United Kingdom Overseas Territories
- Tuna and billfish ecology and fisheries
- Elasmobranch movement ecology
- UK shellfish fisheries
- 2008 – BSc (Hons) Coastal Marine Biology, University of Hull
- 2015 – PhD in Marine Ecology, University of Hull
- 2020 – PGCert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, University of London
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology (FRSB)
- MMO Appointee, Marine Environment - North West Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NWIFCA)
- Chair – Royal Society of Biology North West branch committee
- Board Trustee – West Cumbria Rivers Trust (WCRT)