Studying with us

International students

We have a great international and multicultural community here at Salford, with students joining us from across the world. Studying with us is a great opportunity to meet different people and make new friends for life. If you're considering joining us for either a semester or a full academic year, we have several programmes for you to consider: Study Abroad, International Exchange and Erasmus+

View our Welcome guide


Choosing a course to study

As a visiting student joining us for a short term, you will mostly be allowed to study the same modules that are available to our current students. However, some schools may have restrictions in place due to the nature, duration and size of certain classes.

We advise that you fully research our range of courses, to find a programme and modules that best match those you are currently studying at your home institution.

Please note that some modules are subject to change. Timetables and class schedules are not released until a few weeks before the start of the semester.

Key information about our courses, teaching and assessments


We recommend that you study 60 credits (or three modules) per semester of study, to allow a balance between your academic workload and social life. However, if your home institution requires more than 60 credits per semester to pass, please get in touch to discuss your requirements.

Our undergraduate programmes run for three years: Level 4 (first year of study), Level 5 (second year of study) and Level 6 (third year of study). With each increase in level, there are raised expectations on the performance of our students, so you should try to pick modules that reflect your level of study. For example, if you were starting your second year of study with us, we recommend selecting Level 5 modules, or a mixture of Level 5 and Level 6 modules.

Once you have selected the modules you would like to take, you should list these in your application form. Please note that all modules are subject to availability, and while we will do as much as we can to make sure you are registered on the modules you are interested in, your module choice will only be confirmed once you register.

Language modules

If you are interested in studying another language, either as part of your studies for credit or as an extra curricula option, our University Wide Language Programme (UWLP) offers classes in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Chinese and Spanish. Options will differ by start date and the school you are registered with.

Teaching and assessment

When you join us as a student, you will be invited to University-wide welcome events and receive course-specific information from your school. Your school will be your first point of contact for any queries relating to your programme of study, from how classes are delivered to how you are assessed at the end of your time with us. Your school will also be in touch with information about your transcripts, so you can make sure you have the credits needed to return to your home institution.

For information on rules, regulations and procedures, including academic appeals, please visit askUS.


If you study with us in the first trimester, you will be issued with a results letter shortly after your studies have ended and your results have been confirmed. It is up to you to share the results with your home institution. The results letter will indicate the grades you have obtained while studying with us, but it is not a formal recognition of your results; these are issued in the summer.

If you study with us in the second trimester, you will be issued with a formal transcript ratified by us.

Academic calendar

The academic year 2020-21 begins with the Early Arrivals Welcome the week commencing 9 September 2020, and officially ends 10 September 2021. See our trimester dates for further information.

Exam dates

  • Trimester one: Monday 6 January 2020 - Friday 17 January 2020
  • Trimester two: Monday 4 May 2020 - Friday 22 May 2020
  • Resits: Monday 17 August 2020 - Friday 4 September 2020

While these are the main exam periods, a number of exams take place outside of these dates to accommodate different programme requirements. You must always check with your school office for confirmation of your exam periods.

We also understand that some trimester one students may need to return to their home institution in January and therefore will not be available to attend an examination here in Salford. If this is the case, you should contact your school and the International Opportunities Team on arrival, so that an alternative assessment can be arranged.


One of the decisions you will have to make before your arrival is whether you would like to live on or off campus.

If you decide that living in student accommodation is for you, we have two options for you to choose from: Peel Park Quarter, or John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts. These are both provided by Campus Living Villages (CLV).

Please note that accommodation on campus is not guaranteed for all visiting students due to very high demand. You will only be able to apply for student accommodation once you have been officially accepted and have received an acceptance letter containing your student ID.

If you are thinking of living off-campus and renting privately, we recommend using landlords that are accredited by Manchester Student Homes.

We strongly advise that you do not sign a contract or pay any money until you have viewed the property in person.

Need more information?

Our team is here to help: if you have any further questions or queries about our Study Abroad Programme, Erasmus+ or International Exchange, you can email our team at, or contact us on +44 (0) 161 295 4425.

The University of Salford wholeheartedly supports the principle of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. Our purpose is to create an inspirational, inclusive learning, research and working environment, celebrating the diversity of our University community in our everyday conversations. Read more about our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy.

For information regarding employer, public and products liability, please see our insurance certificate.