Erasmus+ for incoming students

Students studying together in Chapman Building.

We’re a proud member of the Erasmus+ mobility scheme and have taken part in the programme for many years. Please see our Erasmus+ Charter of Higher Education and our Policy Statement for information.

We can support the mobility of students between programme countries for both study and work purposes, so if you’re considering joining us, take a look at the options below to explore the opportunities available to you.

Mobility for studies and training

Mobility for studies

With the Erasmus+ programme, you'll be able to study with us for either a trimester or a full academic year, depending on the inter-institutional agreement between us and your home institution. You won't need to pay any fees to our University and may also be entitled to receive some funding from your home institution aimed at supporting your living costs here in Salford. 

Erasmus+ exchanges are based on study cycles and subject areas, meaning that, for example, an undergraduate politics student from a partner university could study politics at undergraduate level with us.

Before you apply, you must make sure that your institution is participating in the Erasmus+ scheme. Your university also needs to be a partner of Salford, i.e. an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities must be in place. Check our list of partners to see if we have an Erasmus+ agreement with your university in your study subject. If you do not see your university on the list, you will need to speak to your home university about alternative destinations.

If you're accepted

If you're accepted to study with us, your Exchange Coordinator (listed in your official acceptance letter) will help you select your modules. It's important that you discuss your choices with your academic advisor at your home university to ensure that the modules you will be studying here are approved for credit transfer. 

It may sometimes be possible for you to take one or two modules outside of your subject area, although this will need to be approved by the academic tutors at both institutions. You may also be able to change, add or drop modules at the start of your studies with us, but this will be subject to availability. You will also need to ensure that any changes are approved by both institutions and amended on your Learning Agreement.

Please note that your Learning Agreement must be signed by both your Exchange Coordinator at Salford and your academic advisor back home. 

See 'How to apply'.

Mobility for training

Traineeships for students involve spending time in an enterprise, organisation or higher education institution in another country, with a view to gain specific skills and competences required by the labour market. Your traineeship should also be relevant to your programme of study.

Our University can act as a host, provided that you are registered in and studying at a university holding an ECHE. Unlike Erasmus+ mobility for studies, an inter-institutional agreement between the two universities is not required.

Eligible student traineeship activities include: traineeships embedded in the curriculum (counting towards the degree), voluntary traineeships (not required for the degree) and traineeships for recent graduates.

Traineeships are looked at on a case-by-case basis. Please email

Your eligibility to study with us

Your home institution will select students for participation in the Erasmus+ programme and discuss your options with you. They will also manage your Erasmus+ mobility and, if you’re successful, pass your details to us.

In order to be eligible to study or gain work experience with us, you must also meet our entry requirements, which differ between programmes of study.

Modules are available in a range of subject areas across a number of our schools. Have a look at modules available in each school:

Please note that some modules are subject to change. Timetables and class schedules are not released until a few weeks before the start of the trimester.

Visa and English language requirements

International and EU students staying for one trimester only are required to enter the UK as a visitor, or on a Student Visa if they are planning to work whilst studying. International and EU students staying for a full academic year are required to obtain a Student Visa before they travel to the UK. Please note: all International and EU students applying for a programme which might involve a work component (e.g. Performing Arts, Music, Fashion etc.) will be required to apply for a Student visa even if studying for one trimester only.

For further information on visas and the various documentation required in order to obtain one, please visit the UK Government website.

For any further immigration assistance, please email

Applicants wanting a CAS number so that they can apply for a Student Visa (i.e. those coming to Salford for a full year or those coming for one trimester but who wish to work while they are here) are required to provide a UKVI or Academic IELTS 6.0 overall (with no individual element below 5.5) or an alternative acceptable English Language qualification as listed on our English Language Requirements page.

Applicants coming to Salford for one trimester only on a Visitor Visa (who therefore do not need a CAS number for a Student Visa) will have to meet the English language requirements outlined in our inter-institutional agreement with their home institution. They will also need to sign an English Language Declaration confirming that they will only stay for one trimester.

All students undertaking an English programme e.g. English Language, English Literature etc., are required to submit a valid - not older than two years - C1 English language certificate).

Please also check with your home university as to whether they have any requirements you have to meet in order to be eligible to study or work abroad.

How to apply

Selection and nomination is made by your home institution once they confirm that you are able to take part in the Erasmus+ programme. Nominations must be submitted by your home university’s International Office using our online form. See below for more information.

Please note that your application will not be considered if we have not received a valid nomination from your home university’s International Office.

Application information


At this stage, your home institution will need to complete a nomination form asking for some basic info about you, e.g. what you are currently studying and what you would like to study with us. This information will be passed on to the relevant school for approval. If your nomination is rejected, you will not be invited to complete an application form. Your nomination may be rejected for the following reasons: your chosen course is already fully booked, or your chosen course does not match your previous education.

Your institution will also be asked to confirm if you have a disability. This will enable us to make all necessary arrangements with the relevant teams in the institution to ensure you are provided with all the support you need. For any guidance on disclosing your condition, please visit Ahead. For information on our disability and learner support services, please visit askUS.

Nomination deadlines

  • Winter semester (Trimester 1): 15 April
  • Spring semester (Trimester 2): 15 September

Your application

If your nomination is accepted, you'll be asked to complete an application form. You'll also need to provide us with a copy of your passport or ID card, an official transcript of records (a certificate issued by your university listing your course(s) and grades), and your English language certification (if applicable-see 'Visa and English language requirements').

Your application, together with your transcript, will be reviewed by the relevant school. Our admissions team will also check your documentation. Once we have confirmed that you meet our entry requirements, we will provide you with an acceptance letter and further information on the next steps. Your exchange coordinator will then be in touch to discuss your module choices.

Please do not book accommodation or flights until you receive an official acceptance letter from us.

Application deadlines

  • Winter semester (Trimester 1): 15 April - 2 May
  • Spring semester (Trimester 2): 26 September - 3 October

Status of your application

  1. We receive your nomination from the International Office at your home institution
  2. Your nomination is forwarded to the relevant school for approval/rejection
  3. We will inform you of the outcome of your nomination. If your nomination is accepted, you will be put in touch with your relevant Exchange Coordinator to start discussing module selection. You will also be asked to complete an application form
  4. If your application is accepted by the Exchange Coordinator, we will pass on your details and documentation to the Admissions team
  5. If the Admissions team are satisfied with all the information and documentation provided, your details will be logged onto our system and you will be assigned a student ID number
  6. We will generate an official acceptance letter for you, including your student ID number. Students needing a Student Visa will also be provided with a CAS number.
  7. You can now start making all arrangements ahead of your journey (visa, flights, accommodation etc.)
  8. Your Exchange Coordinator will contact you a few weeks before the start of the trimester to finalise module choices

While we endeavour to process all the applications as soon as possible, please note that due to the high volume of submissions, the process may take up to 6 weeks.


How many modules will I take?

A regular undergraduate course requires three modules to be studied per trimester.

What if I need to take an additional module?

You may need to study an extra module to meet the requirements of your course at your home institution. If this is the case, let us know so that we can try and make the necessary arrangements.

How many credits does each module have at Salford and how does that convert to ECTS?

There is an official equivalence with the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) where 2 UK credits equal 1 ECTS credit, based on there being 120 UK credits and 60 ECTS credits to an academic year.

How do I find accommodation?

Our accommodation is managed by our accommodation partners Campus Living Villages (CLV), and there are two options for you to choose from: Peel Park Quarter, or John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts. Please note that accommodation on campus is not guaranteed for all visiting students due to very high demand. You will only be able to apply for student accommodation once you have been officially accepted and provided with an acceptance letter containing your student ID.

For more information about our accommodation, as well as living off-campus, visit our accommodation page.

We strongly advise that you do not sign a contract or pay any money until you have viewed any private accommodation in person.

Will my EHIC card be valid in the UK following Brexit?

Please visit the UK Government website.

Where I can find more information about pre-arrival arrangements?

Please have a look at our welcome page.

Get in touch

For more information about the Erasmus+ programme, or if you need further advice or support with the application process, please contact the team.