Information for partner universities

Five students in conversation at the University of Salford

Institution Details

Name: University of Salford

Head of institution: Professor Nic Beech, Vice Chancellor, University of Salford

Address: The Crescent, Salford, Greater Manchester, M5 4WT, United Kingdom

Programmes available

Erasmus+ (with EU partner universities)

International Exchange (with non-EU partner universities)

Study Abroad Programme (fee-paying programme for both European and international students and is an alternative option to our two exchange programmes: Erasmus+ and International Exchange)

Staff Details

Department: International Opportunities Team, International and Regional Development Directorate
Address: Maxwell Building 5th Floor, The Crescent, Salford, Greater Manchester, M5 4WT, United Kingdom

Director: Paul Ward, International and Regional Development Directorate

Contact person: Liam Richardson, International Opportunities Officer

Contact emails: Liam Richardson / Salford-IOT

Contact phone number: +44 (0)161 295 0300

Website: International Opportunities

peel building

General Information

Available courses

Language of instruction: English

Academic calendar

Induction/Welcome: One week before classes begin

Erasmus+ Partner Information

Partners should note that whilst Erasmus+ agreements are in place during our current project, we will only accept the same number of students inbound that we send overseas to ensure the partnership is balanced i.e. if you host two of our students, we will host two students from your institution. If you would like to promote your institution to students at Salford, please let us know which subjects you would like to cover and we can help you set up a session. We very much hope that we can both receive your students and send students to your institution to ensure balance in equal numbers.

Our deadlines

Nomination deadlines

Winter semester (Trimester 1): Monday 15 April

Spring semester (Trimester 2): Sunday 15 September

All students must be nominated by their home institution, regardless of programme, using our Incoming Student Nomination form. We will pass this information on to the students’ chosen school for them to make a provisional decision based on the information provided. If the nomination is accepted, this remains conditional upon further documents provided at the application stage. If the nomination is accepted, students will be able to discuss module selection with their Exchange Coordinator.

Application deadlines

Winter semester (Trimester 1): Monday 15 April - Thursday 2 May

Spring semester (Trimester 2): Thursday 26 September - Thursday 3 October

If the student’s nomination is accepted in principle, they will be invited to complete our Incoming Student Application form - where they will be invited to answer further questions and upload the following:

  • Transcript of records (this must be an official document issued and stamped by the sending Institution)
  • Copy of passport (this must be valid for six months after the end date of the student’s exchange)
  • Portfolio (for certain subject areas)
  • English language qualification (applicants wanting a CAS number so that they can apply for a Student Visa (i.e. those coming to Salford for a full year or those coming for one semester but who wish to work while they are here) are required to provide a UKVI or Academic IELTS 6.0 overall (with no individual element below 5.5) or an alternative acceptable English Language qualification as listed on our English Language Requirements page.

Applicants coming to Salford for one semester only on a Visitor Visa (who therefore do not need a CAS number for a Student Visa) will have to meet the English language requirements outlined in our inter-institutional agreement with their home institution. They will also need to sign an English Language Declaration confirming that they will only stay for one semester.

All students undertaking an English programme e.g. English Language, English Literature etc., are required to submit a valid - not older than two years - C1 English language certificate).

The transcript will be passed on to the school to ensure the student is suitable for the course they have chosen. If the school accepts them, we will pass on their details and documents to our Admissions team to complete any final checks. Once these steps are completed, and if the student is accepted, we will provide an official acceptance letter which will include the student’s ID number. Applicants needing a visa will also be provided with a CAS number. Please allow a minimum of six weeks following the application deadline for applications to be processed.

Once students are officially accepted, they will then be able to make all the necessary arrangements, e.g. visa, flights, accommodation etc.

Student services

We are committed to supporting all students and providing them with fair and equal access to their education. Students on exchange at the University of Salford are entitled to the full provision of services detailed at askUS. At the application stage, students will be invited to specify if they identify themselves with any protected characteristics. This information will enable us to provide students with the relevant support.


We are unfortunately unable to guarantee accommodation. However, we will support all students who are unable to source accommodation.

At Salford, we work with our accommodation partner, Campus Living Villages who manage two accommodation villages. Prices include all utilities, Wi-Fi, use of on-site social areas and free on-site gym.

For alternative options, please visit our accommodation page. For assistance, email askUS.

All students are strongly advised not to sign any contracts or make any payments for private accommodation sourced online. Students wishing to live in private accommodation are strongly advised to book temporary accommodation (hotel, hostels etc.) - visit ISSUU as an option and look for permanent accommodation once in Salford.

Open day outdoors lawn banner

English Language, Immigration and Visa Information

All students undertaking an English programme e.g. English Language, English Literature etc., are required to submit a valid - not older than two years - C1 English language certificate). This can be UKVI or Academic IELTS. Please see English language requirements | University of Salford for further details of other acceptable qualifications.

International and EU students staying for one semester only are required to enter the UK as a visitor or on a Student Visa if they are planning to work whilst studying.

International and EU students staying for a full academic year are required to obtain a Student Visa before they travel to the UK. Please note: all International and EU students applying for a programme that might involve a work component (e.g. Performing Arts, Music, Fashion etc.) will be required to apply for a Student Visa even if studying for one semester only. 

You must wait for your Student Visa application to be granted before you travel to the UK – you should not travel to the UK whilst your visa application is ongoing even if you are an EU/EEA national.

For further information on visas and the various documentation required in order to obtain one, please visit GOV UK visa check. If you are studying for less than six months you may not need to obtain a physical visa before travelling. You can check whether you need a visa in advance of travelling using GOV UK visa check. Please remember that in all cases you must bring your passport with you to the UK, even if you are an EU/EEA national.

For any further immigration assistance email Home Office Compliance.

ATAS: Academic Technology Approval Scheme) Certificate

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) requires all international students subject to existing UK immigration permissions, who are applying to study for a postgraduate qualification in certain sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used in programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) or their means of delivery, to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can study in the UK.

The requirement for an ATAS certificate applies to all students whose nationality is outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, irrespective of country of residence at the point of application. An ATAS certificate is required for international students applying to study for a postgraduate qualification in the UK.

For more information, visit UK ATAS.


Our aim is to recognise factors that may put a student at a disadvantage to their peers. The completion of a Reasonable Adjustment Plan allows us to make individual recommendations to ensure that the University fulfils its obligation in giving disabled students fair and equal access to their education.

If a student has a disability, please make sure you inform us at the nomination stage.

Be sure to follow us on social media for updates and events.