Estates and Facilities
The Estates and Facilities Team is part of the Professional Services providing the practical support required, to enable the University to fulfil its mission, goals and values. The team consists of around 350 people (approximately 240 FTE’s) to deliver the following services:
- Strategic estate planning and space management
- Reactive and planned maintenance (building, engineering and landscaping)
- Environmental & energy management and expertise
- New build and capital schemes
- Refurbishments and minor works
- Car parking, travel and transport
- Mail service
- Building management
- Campus Security
- Sports facilities
- Contractor management for catering and student accommodation
- Managed office space within Technology House
The Estates and Facilities team has set out a few goals that allow us to operate to the best of our abilities.
To provide a high quality learning and working experience for students and staff. The University’s Strategic Plan explicitly recognises the importance of an attractive physical environment for learning and of a high-quality working environment for staff, both of which rely heavily on the quality of our buildings; the maintenance of our facilities and landscape, and the creation of a sense of safety and security across the campus.
To contribute to the creation of exception industry and community partnerships. The Division plays a central role in managing partnerships and other relationships with the City of Salford, Manchester City Council and other local and regional bodies that share our interest in and concern for regenerating and revitalising the area in which we operate.
Ensuring environmental awareness and the sustainable use of resources are reflected in every area of the University’s activities. It is clear that our intentions and performance in this respect will become steadily more important to funding decisions and that we must therefore ensure that we have the expertise, commitment and resources to meet this challenge.
If you need to speak to anyone within Estates & Facilities call the helpdesk on +44 (0)161 295 4444.
- ISO 14001 - Environmental Management System
- EcoCampus Platinum– campus environmental sustainability
- BS 7499 for static guarding and mobile patrol services
- BS 7958 for CCTV management, operation and code of practice
Our Awards and Recognition
We are proud to have been awarded the following awards and recognition
Green Flag Award
In July 2019 the University received a prestigious Green Flag Award - the mark of a quality park or green space.
Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards
Estates and Property Services. Shortlisted for Outstanding Estates Team, 2016, for the physical, organisational and reputational transformation of the University – including the build of the £81m student village and the £55million New Adelphi; annual carbon savings of 8 per cent (nearly 1,000 tonnes); and new campus-wide catering.
Green Gown Awards
- Keeping Salford Dry. Community, Winner 2016
- Danielle Butler, Sustainable Housing and Urban Studies Unit. Student Research, Winner 2016
- Salford ReUSe scheme. Facilities and Services, Finalist 2016
- Clever Classrooms in Sustainable Schools. Research and Development, Finalist 2015
- Diana Baker. Sustainability Champion, Finalist 2014
- The Salford Institute for Dementia and becoming a Dementia Friendly University. Social Responsibility, Finalist 2014
- State of the Art Carbon Savings. Carbon Reduction, Finalist 2014
- Creating a Carbon Saving Case Study on Campus. Carbon Reduction, Finalist 2014
- Trees for Printers: A reward for supporting sustainable change. Facilities and Services, Highly Commended 2013
- Salford Solar Research, Prototyping and Production Facility. Research & Development, Finalist 2013
- Developing an energy and low carbon professional development centre at the University of Salford – Energy Professional Development. Learning & Skills, Finalist 2013
- New Life for Old Pants! Promoting Positive Behaviour, Highly Commended 2012
- Energy House. Research and Development, Winner 2011
Find out more about the Green Gown Awards.
Security Officer of the Year
- Ian Kendall, Security Officer of the Year at the Association of University Chief Security Officers 2016
Vice Chancellor’s Awards
- 2015-16 Excellence in Customer Service Winner – Sports Team
- 2014-15 Employee of the Year Winner – Stephen Watling, Security Systems Engineer
- 2013-14 Employee of the Year Winner – John Barber, Handyperson
- 2013-14 Professional Services Team of the Year, Highly Commended – Accommodation Team
- 2013-14 Excellence in Customer Service Winner – Security Team