Dr Zeeshan Aziz
I joined the University of Salford in January 2010 as a lecturer in the School of the Built Environment. Prior to joining the School, I worked at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow on various NSF funded projects. I completed my PhD from Loughborough University in 2005. At Loughborough University, I gained experience working as a Research Assistant on the EPSRC funded WiSECON project. Also, I played a key role in the development of a Work-based Distance Learning MSc in Construction Management programme at Loughborough University.
Currently I supervise four doctoral students and am involved in the supervision of both undergraduate and postgraduate research projects. I have supervised several research projects to completion, including topics on Computer Integrated Construction Management, Building Information Modelling, Knowledge Management and Integrated Design and Delivery Systems.
I currently lead the MSc in Construction Management Programme at the University of Salford. I teach on numerous modules including:
- PG Performance and Integration Management
- PG Project and Production Management
- UG Integrated Design and Delivery Systems
- UG Multi Disciplinary Projects
- HNC/HND Production Management
- Computer Integrated Construction Project Management
- Building Information Modelling for Construction Managers
My research focuses on the three crucial elements that define and defy global Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry:
- Intelligent Construction Collaboration: A key focus of my work is to enhance construction collaboration through the application of innovative tools and techniques.
- Intelligent Integrated Sustainable Construction: Investigating the true environmental impact of construction activities and making efforts in its reduction.
- Disaster Resilient Infrastructure: Enhancing disaster resilience of inter-dependent construction infrastructure.
Qualifications and Memberships
BSc Civil Engineering
MSc Construction and Property Management
MSc Software Technology, UK
Fellow of Higher Education Authority, UK
Key puiblications include:
- Aziz, Z. (2012). ”Supporting Site-Based Processes Using Context-Aware Virtual Prototyping.” J. Archit. Eng., 17(2), 79–83.doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)AE.1943-5568.0000068
- Peña-Mora, F., Thomas, J., Golparvar-Fard, M., and Aziz, Z. (2012). ”Supporting Civil Engineers during Disaster Response and Recovery Using a Segway Mobile Workstation Chariot.” J. ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering., 26(3), 448–455. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000117
- Chen, A. Y., Peña-Mora, F., Plans, A., Mehta, S., and Aziz, Z. (2012) "Supporting Urban Search and Rescue with Digital Assessments of Structures and Requests of Response Resources.", Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, [Online] ISSN 1474-0346, 10.1016/j.aei.2012.06.004.
- Hajibabai, L., Aziz, Z. and Peña-Mora, F. (2011) “Visualizing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Construction Activities Using Geo-Spatial Information Systems”, Construction Innovation: Information, Process, Management, Vol. 11 Issue: 3, pp.356 – 370 [Online] DOI:10.1108/14714171111149052.
- Roh, S., Aziz, Z. and Peña-Mora, F. (2011), "An Object-Based 3D Walk-Through Model For Interior Construction Progress Monitoring." Automation in Construction, Elsevier, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 66-75, January 2011.
- Aziz, Z., Peña-Mora, F., Chen, A. & Lantz, T. (2009) “Supporting urban emergency response and recovery using RFID-based building assessment”, Special Issue on Disaster Management and the Built Environment, International Journal of Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 18, No. 1., pp. 35-48, 2009. [Online] http://www.emeraldinsight.com/10.1108/09653560910938538
- Peña-Mora, F., Aziz, Z., Chen, A., Plans, A and Foltz, S. (2009). “Building Assessment During Disaster Response and Recovery”, Institution of Civil Engineers, Special Issue on Urban Design and Planning, Urban Design and Planning, V 161, Issue 4, pp: 183-195 ISSN 1755-0793.
- Aziz, Z., Anumba, A and Peña-Mora, F. (2009) “A Road-Map To Personalized Context-Aware Services Delivery In Construction”, Journal of Information Technology in Construction (IT-CON), Special Issue on Next Generation Construction IT: Technology Foresight, Future Studies, Roadmapping, and Scenario Planning, ISSN 1874-4753 pp. 461-472 [Online] http://www.itcon.org/2009/30
- Peña-mora, F., Vadhavkar, S. and Aziz, Z. (2009), “Technology strategies for globally dispersed construction teams”, Journal of Information Technology in Construction, Vol. 14, Special Issue Technology Strategies for Collaborative Working , pp. 70- 80, [Online] http://www.itcon.org/2009/8
- Aziz, Z., Anumba, C.J., and Peña-Mora, F. (2010), “Using Context-Aware Wireless Technologies To Support Teaching And Learning In Built Environment", ASC International Journal of Construction Education and Research, ISSN: 1557-8771. Vol. 6 No. 1, pp. 18-29, 2010.
- Peña-Mora, F., Chen, A. Y., Aziz, Z., Soibelman, L., Liu, L. Y., El-Rayes, K., Arboleda, C. A., Lantz, T. S., Plans, A. P., Lakhera, S., and Mathur, S. (2010) "A Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Enabled Collaborative Framework Supporting Civil Engineering Emergency Response Operations," ASCE, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol. 24, Issue 3, pp. 302-312.
- Behzadan, A. H., Aziz, Z., Anumba, C., and Kamat, V. R. (2008), "Ubiquitous Location Tracking for Context Specific Information Delivery on Construction Sites", Automation in Construction, 17(6), Elsevier Science, New York, NY, 737-748.
- Aziz, Z., Peña-Mora, F and Son, J. (2007) “Supporting Collaborative Decision Making In Disaster Response And Recovery Through Improved Situation Awareness”, Special Issue of Structural Survey on the role of the built environment professional in disaster management, Vol 26, Issue 5, Page: 411-425, ISSN: 0263-080X. Also available from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/10.1108/02630800810922757