Students Under 18 Years Old
We offer extra support for students who are starting with us under the age of 18.
Before you arrive
Before your classes begin, there will be a series of sessions and events to register you as a student, introduce you to the University, to your course tutors and to the resources you will use while you are a student here. This introductory period is known as Welcome.
Most of your Welcome events will take before classes begin but, depending on your course and your level of study, some of these events may take place earlier, and some may take place after your classes have begun. You should hear from the university by the first week in September at the latest, telling you about your Academic Induction schedule and more information about Welcome.
Your parents or carers should also have completed a parental and UK guardian consent form to support your application. Please be aware that we need this form signed before you start university.
We provide a wide range of support services for all students and you are welcome to make use of these services.
- We provide mandatory pastoral support for all students under the age of 17 at the time of starting university
- If you are under 17 under we will contact you to arrange monthly one to one meetings to check everything is OK
- If you are 17 when you start at Salford you do not have to meet with us but you are welcome to make an appointment with the Under 18 team any time you want
You can contact our advisers in the askUS team via email on askUSU18@salford.ac.uk.
The Education and Skills Act (2008) requires full-time education for children up to the age of 18. University students who are under this age are required to maintain high levels of attendance and participation in their course and will be required to return to state education if this is not done.
The Programme Leader for your course will ensure that your attendance and participation is monitored and will manage any concerns. For further information about your time at university, please go to our FAQs.
If you are a UK student under the age of 18, you are still able to take out a Student Loan.
- You should apply as normal via www.gov.uk/student-finance leaving plenty of time as sometimes it can take a bit longer
- Your parents/carers must sign your form to enable you to receive loans before your 18th birthday
- Once you reach the age of 18, the responsibility of the loan becomes your own
- Should you have money worries during your course, seek guidance from our Money Advice and Funding Service on firstname.lastname@example.org as there may be additional support available to you to top up existing loans and grants you receive
If your parents or carers are unable to travel with you when studying in the UK, you must have an official guardian by law who is responsible for your welfare whilst you remain in the UK. For some people, this may be a family member or friend, although for students who don't have that support in the UK, there are other options available.
You can search and apply for UK guardianship through AEGIS (Association for Education and Guardianship of International Students). We are unable to process applications without a UK guardianship form signed.