Health Services

askUS works in partnership with NHS services in the community to ensure that you get the care and support that you need while you study at Salford.

On-campus GP

In order to make sure that you can access medical treatment when you need it, we recommend that you register with a GP as soon as you arrive at university. Your GP is generally the first medical professional to contact when you feel unwell. However, many illnesses such as coughs and colds can be treated over the counter at your local pharmacy.

We have a GP practice on campus: University of Salford Health Centre, which operates through Langworthy Medical Practice. If you are a student living in accommodation near to campus with a family, you can register the whole family at Langworthy Medical Practice. The Health Centre offers NHS primary care services to help you manage your health and wellbeing, including services for LGBTQIA+ students and support for your mental and sexual health.

As part of your health check when you register with the doctor you will be offered the Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR) vaccine and Meningitis ACWY vaccine. These are serious illnesses that are easily spread between students and can cause death or have life-limiting impacts. Please ensure you are vaccinated for both your own and others’ sake.

Immediate health concerns or emergencies

Before you go to a hospital’s Accident & Emergency (A&E), consider if your condition is serious enough to warrant it. Waiting times can be very long if you attend with a less serious injury. You can find NHS advice on when to go to A&E here.

If you have a life threatening or serious injury or condition, including a mental health crisis, call an ambulance on 999. If you have an urgent health concern which isn’t life threatening you can always phone 111.

  • A&E Department: Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9WL. +44 (0)161 276 1234
  • Walk-in support: City Health Centre, Second Floor (Boots), 32 Market Street, City Centre, Manchester, M1 1PL. +44 (0)161 839 6227. Open 08:00-20:00

Additional healthcare information

Help with healthcare costs

Full time students under the age of 19 do not have to pay prescription charges. You just need to complete a HNC1 claim form which is available from your Doctor's Surgery or from askUS.

If you are over 19 and on a low income you may be able to get help with healthcare costs - find out more on the NHS website.

Healthcare for international students

International students on a full-time course lasting 6 months or longer are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment. If your spouse or children live with you throughout your course, they are also entitled to free hospital treatment. More information is available from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Dental care

There are several local dentists offering regular appointments and urgent care. You can find a dentist on the NHS Choices website by entering your postcode under ‘Find local services’ and clicking ‘Dentists’. If you need it, the University postcode is M5 4WT.