School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Nourhan is an Architect and Urban researcher with passion about Development and the Environment. She is currently a PhD researcher at The School of Science, Engineering and Environment at University of Salford, studying geospatial mapping of Social Capital for grassroot economies. She is also working as a Research Assistant on ERDF-funded IGNITION project, contributing to establishing a Living Lab at the University of Salford. She previously worked within the School’s SURF research centre on the Development of Manchester Ship Canal. Previously, Nourhan worked as an Assistant Lecture at Cairo University, where she taught urban studies and architecture, as well as took on roles as Graduation Project Coordinator, Workshop/Conference Organiser (in Egypt, Lebanon and Germany) and Lead Rapporteur. Nourhan also worked at the UN-Habitat’s EUF (Egypt Urban Forum), the American University in Cairo (AUC) and AAST in Cairo; in addition to volunteering on several development projects with the British Council in Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.
Areas of research
Urban Development, Urban Spatial Mapping, Social Capital, Network Mapping, NBS Design, Living Lab design, Green Infrastructure
- Urban Development
- Urban Spatial Mapping
- Social Capital
- Network Mapping
- NBS Designs
- Living Lab design
- Ongoing: PhD in the Build Environment, University of Salford, UK.
- Master of Science in Architectural Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt.
- Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineering, Cairo University, Egypt.
- Verified Academic Qualifications WES.
- GIS Analysis and Data Design.
- Postgraduate Fellow at Royal Geographic Society UK.
- Associate Fellow Higher Education Academy (AFHEA).
- President of CIB Student Chapter at University of Salford.
- Member of Egyptian Engineering Syndicate.
Current doctoral research thesis on investigating Social Capital for grassroot economies in industry-based cities. The case study focuses on GIS network mapping of Social Capital within Damietta’s local furniture industry enterprises in Egypt.