The £55m New Adelphi building opened on our main Peel Park campus in September 2016, delivering a new home for music, performance, art, design and architecture students, and providing a rich environment for creativity, arts and culture on campus.
New Adelphi Theatre
Bringing together both development and performance in one highly technical facility, New Adelphi Theatre is a place of learning and collaboration whilst providing a varied cultural programme, for students, staff and the public to enjoy.
Visit the New Adelphi Theatre site to view upcoming events and book tickets: https://www.newadelphitheatre.co.uk
About New Adelphi
Our brand new £55 million Arts and Media building houses the most up to date practice rooms, rehearsal facilities and recording studios that have been judged as the finest in Europe.
- New Adelphi Theatre - the 350 seat theatre features flexible seating configurations to suit a range of events and performances, and is equipped with a range of intelligent and generic lighting, a highly adaptable EM Acoustics PA system, and a high-powered Christie projector.
- The Amphitheatre – a performance space that can be linked to the theatre and offers a unique environment for outdoor events.
- The Studio Theatre – a classic black-box performance space with completely flexible seating and stage layouts, suitable for many types of performance and which can mirror the layouts of the Theatre.
- Screen Acting Studios – studios which provide an environment for actors to gain valuable experience in front of the camera. Screen 1 provides a professional fixed set and three-camera HD facility, while Screen 2 operates as a flexible and experimental space, with a mobile three-camera 4K production unit and full-height chroma key filming facilities.
- Voice Acting Studio – this facility gives the ability to record vocal performances, such as those used in radio or video game production, with a variety of acoustic treatments. Foley techniques can also be taught in the Live room, while the Dead room provides a tightly controlled sound environment for capturing the driest possible recordings.
- Recording Studios – featuring five complete Live and Control room pairings. Each of the Live spaces are room-within-room construction, with variable acoustic treatments, recording booths, pianos, and excellent backline equipment by Ampeg, Fender and Vox. Control rooms all benefit from excellent new Audient ASP8024 HE consoles, the first manufactured in the country, coupled with Avid S3 automated surfaces, ATC and PMC loudspeakers, bespoke furniture and fully digital Dante connectivity with other performance spaces in the building. We have created a creative and educational environment which aims to mirror contemporary professional studio practise. Our general philosophy is to facilitate the use of both analogue and digital recording platforms, software and hardware signal processing. All studios centre around a large format mixing desk which can feed hard disk recording systems and 24 track analogue tape machines. The two large recording studios make use of comprehensive balanced patch bays, providing the opportunity to fully explore traditional signal routing, vital in professional practice.
- In addition to the facilities housed in the University we have a partnership with Blueprint Recording and Rehearsal Studios. This world class facility is located just 10 minutes’ walk from the Adelphi campus.
- Large band room – a 100 square metre, double height rehearsal and recording space with a modifiable acoustic characteristic. Room to accommodate large ensembles and orchestras, overlooked by its own dedicated control room. Also used for performance master classes and small concerts (capacity 80 - 100) with a two tier stage and 5kw PA system. Specialist rooms for drum / percussion tuition and bass guitar tuition can be booked for individual student practice..
- Specialist workshops - over 600 square metres of specialist workshops, including traditional model making facilities, advanced CNC machines (3D printers, laser cutters and milling) and a dedicated printing lab with a huge selection of specialist production equipment, such as screen printers, lithotables, fabric printers, etching presses and felt looms.
- Photography studios – seven fully equipped professional studios with lighting equipment, a dark room and a range of the latest cameras and accessories.
- Gallery space – a 100 square metre gallery for formal exhibitions, with additional exhibition space around the building’s foyer areas.
- Six 'amplified rehearsal rooms' - each contains a vocal PA system, stage piano / keyboard, drum kit and back-line amplifiers for guitars, bass and keyboards / electronics. The equipment is sourced from a wide range of manufacturers such as Sonor, Sabian, Roland, Mackie, Yamaha, Line 6, Fender and many more.
- Storage - have an instrument storage facility for students who wish to use their own equipment for rehearsals.
In addition, the building houses a wide range of high specification studios for performance and dance rehearsals, open plan studio spaces for art and design and collaborative projects, and instrumental tuition rooms.
Photography and Art & Design facilities:
- Mac computer suites offering Adobe Creative Suite
- Nikon and Canon full frame DSLRs
- Hasselblad and Phase One medium format digital platforms
- Location and studio lighting
- Five fully equipped studios
- Large format printers – up to 64” wide - producing archival pigment prints
- B+W Darkroom for historical Processes with automated processing
- Large format archival mounting facilities
- 3D scanning and printing for experimental output
- Full workshop inc. frame-building, laser cutting, CNC, Vac former